share rss forum feed

ReVeLaTeD
Premium
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA

1 edit

[WIN7] "You don't have permission to save in this location"

OK.

I've been running the RC now for a while in dual boot on one of my machines. It's stumbled on a few things (VMWare, I'm looking at you), but for the most part it's been solid. About the only thing that has disappointed me so far has more to do with the actual laptop rather than the OS (when I first installed it, Win7 got me roughly 4 hours of battery life with the Balanced power scheme, now it's half that on the Power Saver scheme).

After having run Vista HP 64 for the longest time with minimal issues (only one reinstall which was optional), and after seeing how seamlessly Windows 7 managed to fix itself after a catastrophic event (VMWare. It literally shut everything down. But Windows 7 allows you to access Restore utilities without being in the OS and without needing a Recovery disc like Vista, which is absolutely cool), and how Win 7 was seemingly impervious to viral activities (I ran it initially with no virus protection in a canned environment to see how well it did. Two months went by and then I installed AVG and let it go to work...no viruses, just a bunch of cookies. Impressive! And this is considering I purposely visited known infectious sites. Though I know my tricked out Firefox should get the majority of the credit), I'm decided. I'm going to get off of this time bomb version and do an actual version.

My question is this and it's two-part.

I'm a TechNet subscriber. Apparently the Win7 key on TechNet will not apply correctly against the RC. I see I'm going to have to reinstall it using the TechNet specific software. The tricky part is Windows Media Center, which I have customized all kinds of crazy, and don't really want to lose. I also need to make sure I get my entire bookmark store from Firefox and ideally my configured Library files. That would take care of Win 7.

Next, I want to grab any configurations I have on Windows Vista right now and migrate them into Windows 7 as a separate profile. That profile has a lot of important documents such as my resume and things, plus I will likely have a lot of photos and stuff that I even forgot were there. I also have a lot of bookmarks here which I desperately need to keep.

Is there a way, other than Windows Easy Transfer (which I don't mind using, just asking the question) to do this? A more efficient way I should say? I just want to keep all of my various files and configurations while I blow this away and reinstall it. It's got its own partition and my super-critical files, as in, can't ever be recreated should something happen, are on an external NAS, so I'm not too worried about data loss.

Thanks in advance.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

Re: [WIN7] Win 7 RC to Win 7 (Not the usual question)

It will be necessary to download the MS Technet iso file..
Follow the guide here: »www.maximumpc.com/article/news/w···n_7_beta

- If you have a version of the release canadate older than build 7000, use that number when modifying cversion.ini using the guide above. It should allow you to 'upgrade' the RC version to the RTM version while keeping your settings / files etc intact..

This has come up before: »[WIN7] RC to retail version-"upgrade" or fresh install?

ReVeLaTeD
Premium
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA

2 edits
said by AMDUSER:

It will be necessary to download the MS Technet iso file..
Follow the guide here: »www.maximumpc.com/article/news/w···n_7_beta

- If you have a version of the release canadate older than build 7000, use that number when modifying cversion.ini using the guide above. It should allow you to 'upgrade' the RC version to the RTM version while keeping your settings / files etc intact..

This has come up before: »[WIN7] RC to retail version-"upgrade" or fresh install?
I saw that, but I've been running RC and Vista for so long, I think a fresh install is long overdue. Plus my partitions are off from a previous run with Paragon that needed to be cleaned up.

Anyway, what I did was use the Easy Transfer and pull the configurations. It did that quite well....and I did appreciate the report of missing applications, because there were quite a few I'd forgotten were on there. Unfortunately, there seems to be some issue with the way Paragon formats a drive to NTFS...it'll allow you to run the install and everything gets set up, but you are unable to write any files to the drive. Seems to be a known issue, where you're explicitly required to format NTFS using at least Vista's Disk Management? Not cool.

SO now I'm blowing my install away again and reinstalling it. I'm going to look into installing it from the ISO this time rather than the DVD to speed things up and hopefully the license will cooperate and not freak out about being activated again.

OK, I need help, this is pissing me off. RC did not have this issue, or if it did, I got around it somehow.

Windows 7 will not allow me to save any files to the drive. It throws the topic line error over and over, no matter what I do or change. I've done the NTFS reformat so that's not the issue. Any ideas on what I can do here? I can save to another partition, but it's the principle. I'm the administrator, I should be able to save whatever to wherever. Yes, I know I can drag and drop after the fact but that's not practical; I download a lot of files, some of which just need to go to the root.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I just took over the built in Administrator account instead. Problem solved.