uniqs

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Northern WI/MI - Cellphone

I was wondering how Sprint and Verizon are in Northern WI and MI?

Verizon states they have 3G up that way which I find hard to believe. I know they are in the process of upgrading since purchasing Alltel.

Along those lines I know with Sprint you roam on the Verizon network. I believe you don't get the 3G data speeds when roaming.

I currently have AT&T but am looking at Verizon or Sprint as a new cell provider. So I know they will have some dead spots.

TIA!

shadowshark
Taking A Bite Out Of It
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Lake Orion, MI

shadowshark

Premium Member

my family has some land in the north east part of Michigan UP, (Newberry area) Verizon seams to have the best coverage in that area (it will reach deep in the woods) AT&T is next best ( i get reception on high ground in the woods) Sprint does not work to well of the major hwy (I75)

I don't know about the western side or WI

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Thanks! Newberry is one of the areas I go to so that's good to know.

Do you know if VZ has 3G coverage up that way? According to the map it does but I can't believe they do since it was Alltel area.

shadowshark
Taking A Bite Out Of It
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Lake Orion, MI

shadowshark to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
Can't say if Verizon 3G is up there or not, when we go we're there to get away from all the tech in our daily lives, but we like having the phone for emergency contact.

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

I hear you. During the winter it's nice to have the data on the phone to check weather forecasts and such. I do dog sledding up that way so during the winter it can be dicey while traveling .

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
VZ does NOT have 3g up in the UP, niether does AT&T.

Coverage in the western UP is good, aside for the hour drive between Crystal Falls and Covington on US-141, that's a complete deadzone.

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Thanks! I know AT&T doesn't have 3G at all. VZ people at a store were trying to tell me that they had 3G up that way and I didn't believe think so.

With VZ not having 3G Sprint wouldn't really be bad option than since they would be roaming off VZ in that area.

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg

Premium Member

Sorry to resurrect a 3 week old thread.. but I woke up this morning in the Fox Valley with my AT&T phone's 3g indicator turned on..

WiMStang
Not just another brick in the wall
Premium Member
join:2000-10-22

WiMStang to gdm

Premium Member

to gdm
I have Verizon and make a yearly trip to the Houghton/Hancock area. No problem all the way to Copper Harbor. 3g? Not sure.

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

I ended up going with Verizon for right now. Went to Bestbuy to port the numbers and got two phones for a $100 HTC Droid Eris and Samsung Rogue. So far not one dropped call and people I talk to said it sounds much clearer at the house and around McHenry area. Thanks all for the input.
gdm

gdm

MVM

Just to follow up on this. Had VZ for a month now and was at Merrill, WI last week and Kalkaska, MI this past weekend. Both had 3G service and people with AT&T only had 2G. Verizon seems to have gotten stronger in Northern WI since they bought Alltel. Work is still being done to increase coverage.