grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to bbinabox

Re: One-Way vs Two-way Satellite Systems

said by bbinabox:
Trying to compare hybrid (1-Way) technologies to DirecPC are ludicrous; BIG DIFFERENCE!
I'll grant you there's an age difference, technologies naturally advance with time. I'll also concede that Hughes PC-based modems were limited to Windows machines. Hughes eventually abandoned 1-way and PC-based operation in favor of self-hosted 2-way, the same way that folks traded in their horses for cars. Neither Starband nor Wildblue ever even offered horses, opting instead to jump straight into the car business.

I tellya what though. Let's put the shoe on the other foot here for a change. You teach us. Perhaps you'd start by giving us your definition of "hybrid (1-way) technologies"? Then explain to the members just what those BIG DIFFERENCEs are. No rhetoric, no sweeping generalities, no advertising.

Maybe consider Joe Average with his v.92 equipped XP machine, a basic DHCP router, and an old PC-based DW3000. Surf the net for a while, download a few files, execute a few VPN transactions, buy something off eBay, try a VoIP call, maybe video chat. Then connect Joe to your self-hosted PSTN return SW20. Can you detail how (or even if) the SW20 can better perform those same activities?

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009
Expand your moderator at work

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

Re: One-Way vs Two-way Satellite Systems

C'mon. That's just another advertisement - why can't you simply respond to the scenario as requested?

What is your definition of "hybrid (1-way) technologies"?
How does the SW20 performance compare to the DW3000 in the various activities listed?
And while we're at it, identify what it is about the Hughes modems that you consider "proprietary".

Again. Please. No rhetoric, no sweeping generalities, no broadbrush statements, and no advertising. All I'm looking for is a competent technical comparison.

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009