All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bbinabox
join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY

bbinabox

Re: One-Way vs Two-way Satellite Systems

More on 3&4). from the Google search I deflected and linked above.

With “every component proprietary to Hughes,” as Dorfman said, the satellites only cost some $ 150 million apiece.
Source: »www.gilder.com/public/te ··· ere.html

Brand Name Justification: associated network equipment to be used with this gateway and terminal equipment is compatible only with the Hughes modem technology and proprietary communications protocol. Other brand equipment would render the associated network equipment inoperable.
Source: »www.fbo.gov/index?s=oppo ··· &au=&ck=

The payment resolves assertions by Hughes, the world's largest satellite maker, that from 1963 to 1982 the Government used the company's proprietary technology without permission.
Source: »www.nytimes.com/1999/04/ ··· ent.html (this is regarding the feds paying them over $154 Million due to a using their proprietary technology which they had a patent on!!!)

Company officials, during a press conference in Washington, D.C., said an open satellite broadband standard was important for the satellite industry to encourage development in the satellite broadband industry. Until now, most satellite broadband providers have been using proprietary standards in their satellite systems, said Pradman Kaul, chairman and chief executive officer of Hughes Network Systems, based in Germantown, Maryland. "This has lead to systems that do not talk to each other," Kaul said of the proprietary standards.
Source: »www.infoworld.com/t/netw ··· dard-760 ( I learned something from this read, maybe they are opening up here, maybe they will start using International open standards. Maybe just maybe, their solutions may start delivering advertised speeds. Pffft. It's Hughes, they'll never learn.)

That's it for now GG.

Have a great evening everybody!!!

Thomas-

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by bbinabox:

The payment resolves assertions by Hughes, the world's largest satellite maker, that from 1963 to 1982 the Government used the company's proprietary technology without permission.
Source: »www.nytimes.com/1999/04/ ··· ent.html (this is regarding the feds paying them over $154 Million due to a using their proprietary technology which they had a patent on!!!)
If your definition of "proprietary" is patented inventions then you must know that ALL satellite technology, including yours, is or once was proprietary.

You chose to go back into a time when HEC was IT in the manufacture and deployment of satellites! The remnants of that part of the company is now owned by Boeing Space (manufacture) and Intelsat (deployment/ownership), and they are responsible for a great deal of the hardware that is up there. Yes, I know, AMC15 which you and I both use was built by Lockheed, but it uses a lot of that same "proprietary" stuff that is no longer under patent!

The current company named Hughes has virtually nothing in common with HEC except the first word in the name.