Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

time_trapper

join:2008-04-12
Albany, GA

1 recommendation

Setting up a WRT110 as a Repeater

I'm making this post in hopes that these steps might help someone else that wants to turn a Linksys RangePlus Wireless Router (WRT110) into a repeater/access point so they can give another part of their house better wireless access. The biggest plus here is that this router can be picked up at Sam's Club for $50 and I didn't even need to flash it with custom firmware. If anyone has any suggestions for things I could've done better, though, then please feel free to let me know. ^_^

My set-up:
I have a bridged 2-Wire (2701HG-B) modem connected to a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WRT320N). I've added the WRT110 ($50 at Sam's Club right now) as a second wi-fi access point for the opposite end of my house.

What I had to do:
1) connect the WRT110 via ethernet to a computer (use the #1 port and not the WAN/internet port) and use your browser to go into the 192.168.1.1 interface page and type in "admin" as the password.

2) under the first screen called "Setup," you need to set the "Internet Connection Type" to "Static IP."

NOTE: If you changed your first/main Linksys router's ip address to something like 192.168.2.1 like I did, then you'll need to keep that ip scheme in mind as you'll need to change the WRT110 (the repeater) so that it's on the same ip scheme. [See #3 for that.]

Now for the numbers:
A) "Internet IP Address" is tricky. You need to manually assign an ip address to the WRT110 that is within your first router's port range (the WRT320N, in my case).
Example: If your first router uses an ip address range of 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.149, then you need to pick something like "192.168.2.140"

B) "Subnet Mask" should match what your first router has. In my case, this number was "255.255.255.0"

C) "Default Gateway" is going to be the ip address of the first router (i.e. the one you use to access the admin control panel). For me, that was "192.168.2.1"

D) For "DNS 1," just put in the same number you listed as the "Default Gateway." (example: "192.168.2.1")

E) You can ignore DNS 2 and 3, just leave those as 0.0.0.0

3) Skip down to "Network Setup" where it says "Router IP."
If your first router has a custom ip address like mine, then you'll need to assign a new one for the WRT110 as well. For me, I chose "192.168.2.2."
And then make sure the "Subnet Mask" matches what you put as #B up above.

4) Go down to the next section called "DHCP Server Setting" and click "Disabled."

5) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save Settings."

6) I'm not totally sure this next bit was necessary as I've read that leaving the SSID the same as your first router allows you to roam, but I specifically wanted to be able to see which network I was connecting to.
So to set-up the WRT110 as it's own SSID access point, you need to change the Network Name. To do this, clicked on the "Wireless" tab and under "Basic Wireless Settings," hit "Manual" and then change the "Network Name (SSID)" to something like "linksys2."
Then hit "Save Settings."

7) Finally, I use "WEP" on both of my routers, I went under "Wireless Security" and then assigned the WRT110 the same WEP key as my first router.

8) And you're done. All you need to do now is have your WRT110 repeater hooked up either directly to one of your original router's ethernet ports (or through a workgroup switch that goes to your router) and you're good to go. The repeater should be up and running without any problems.

Well, that's what I did, at least. Feel free to chime in if you have any suggestions for alternate solutions.

- Adam