uniqs
share rss forum feed

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

CableCards are great

I had a pleasant surprise with Charter installing a cable card (multi) into my Tivo HD. They knew what I was talking about when I requested it, and I don't have to pay $15-20 a year for energy to run the stupid cable set top box in addition to my dvr. The cable card works great. No problems at all.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
I agree and installation in my Tivo-HD took all of five minutes.

I picked up the card from my local Comcast office.
Popped it in my Tivo-HD
A screen came up said "This screen provided by your cable company: Call ###-###-#### to activate service.
I called the number
Read a few numbers off the screen to the guy on the phone
A couple seconds later is was fully functional.

Monthly cable card "rent" $1.50 montly cable DVR box "rent" $15 that is why the cable companies don't want you to know about them.

morbo

i guess i'm lucky. no extra charge for cablecards from charter.

SyNiSt3r

join:2007-04-26
Morristown, TN
reply to morbo
Cable cards are great. I agree. I had a nightmare getting charter to install them (i have 2, one for each tv) and it took them about a month to finally get to my house, install them and get them working properly.
The techs that come to my house to do work gasp when they see i have cable cards. Its like a commited a sin.
They often ask questions like "why do you use this?"
"why dont you use a box?" and then go on to tell me
that they have all of 10 or 20 customers using them.
My thought is if cablecards done two way communications so that you could do ppv and on demand more people would want them.
I heard that technology was supposed to be coming but i dont know if it ever did. Certainly its not available for me.
Charter has really progressed in my area. I cant really fault Charter for anything that they are doing right now but they sure dont like el cable card. It da devil!!

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to morbo
said by morbo:

i guess i'm lucky. no extra charge for cablecards from charter.
With Comcast you get one free. I have a standard cable box too so I can get On-Demand and that is the free one so the cable card counts as a second box.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to morbo
You're lucky, we had a heck of a time getting ours installed into our HDTV from Mediacom. They kept bringing back the same (wrong) card, then having to reschedule because they had no more at the warehouse. Three times. When they finally got the right card, the tech had no idea how to install it. I pulled up the step-by-step instructions from Tivo.com, but the guy wouldn't look at it. I understood the process, but he wouldn't let me have a crack at it or offer to help. He just stayed on the phone with his office, trying to find someone to tell him what to do. It took him 3 hours. He tried to beg off for another day but I wouldn't let him. When we moved, their system started showing the cable card as a digital box for some reason. They wanted it back (the digital box that never existed). It was a nightmare. Mediacom (and all cable providers) should be thankful and more helpful with Cable Cards; Tivo is the only reason I haven't switched to DirecTV.

morbo

agreed. tivo keeps me on cable. no other reason.

join:2007-01-11
Chicago, IL
reply to b10010011
Maybe it's free where you are at. In Florida the bastards want $5.95 a month.

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal
kudos:2
reply to morbo
Can you get on demand programming with a cable card?

morbo

I don't believe so.