Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

4 edits
reply to b10010011

Re: Does anyone use these?

said by b10010011:

said by fifty nine:

That's changing. It used to be that you could only get a Cablecard tuner as part of a whole new PC from HP and others. Now Cablelabs loosened the restrictions so that you can pop a cablecard tuner into any old PC.
Sure but do the math.

four-tuner version of the card somewhere between $300 and $600. (so lets say $200-$300 for a two tuner version)

A PC powerful enough to record two HD streams while playing back an HD recording is going to be in the $1000+ range as none of these cards have hardware encoders for HD recording.

A TiVo-HD with lifetime subscription is about $700 and even less if you catch a sale.
No encoding is necessary. the HD stream is just recorded as is. You only need to decode it when watching. A very cheap dual core has no problem recording multiple streams. An HD stream is very slow. at most 19mbs and a USB 5400 rpm drive can do that.

I was recording and watching HD programing in 2001 with a P3 . A few years ago I had a cheap dual core with two USB tuners and a USB storage drive. It had zero problems recording two HD programs, watching a program on that PC and sending two programs to two other PCs on my gigabit network. All concurrently.

And this is with all the content being read and written to/from the same USB drive and this was a few years ago. A current cheap PC should have no problems if my cheap PC from a few years ago could do it.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by aaronwt:

I was recording and watching HD programing in 2001 with a P3 . A few years ago I had a cheap dual core with two USB tuners and a USB storage drive. It had zero problems recording two HD programs, watching a program on that PC and sending two programs to two other PCs on my gigabit network. All concurrently.

And this is with all the content being read and written to/from the same USB drive and this was a few years ago. A current cheap PC should have no problems if my cheap PC from a few years ago could do it.
I would like to see that. I have a Hauppauge PCIe HD tuner card and my dual core AMD 4800+ has trouble even displaying an HD channel without frequent pauses. Recording even one HD channels is impossible and I have a fast SATA drive.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

You have a problem with your computer/software then. I have no problem recording two simultaneous 1080i streams from OTA with my 1.6GHz G4 PowerBook. I definitely can't watch them on the machine, but I have no problem recording. As aaronwt See Profile stated, there's no encoding and your tuner card and computer should just drop the MPEG2 files to your hard drive.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to b10010011

said by b10010011:

said by aaronwt:

I would like to see that. I have a Hauppauge PCIe HD tuner card and my dual core AMD 4800+ has trouble even displaying an HD channel without frequent pauses. Recording even one HD channels is impossible and I have a fast SATA drive.
Something must be wrong with your system. The hard drive will not be the bottle neck since a 5400 rpm drive is more than fast enough. And I was running two HD tuners off USB with no hiccups.
I've run my tuners on other systems I own with no problems either. All on systems I had built a few years ago. I haven't used my Cat's Eye tuners in while now since I have a bunch of TiVos to use instead.