spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mocah
join:2003-04-11
Slovenia

mocah

IOS image 15.0.1M(ED)

In Cisco download page there is image c880data-universalk9-mz.150-1.M.bin.

What do the new numbers mean?

Thank you and kind regards,M

caedmon
@cox.net

caedmon

Anon

This is the next version of IOS. For reasons I do not know version numbers 13 and 14 were skipped. So after 12 comes 15. The complete version number is 15.0(1)M. M for mainline as opposed to T train.)
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

12.5 was dubbed 15.0 recently.
They are boosting version numbers for... probablly marketing reasons. they have been on 12.x since the 1990s. Probablly sounded a bit old. Either way, the universal part scares me because instead of a feature set its license-activated. For lab rats like me, that puts a serious kink in my activities =\
bigsy
join:2001-07-18
ireland

bigsy

Release notes for 15.0(1)M are at »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· EQS.html
bigsy

1 edit

bigsy

I see that there are still separate Advanced Security and Advanced IP Services images available in release 15.0(1) for the 870 series.

Is the plan to eventually use the 'universal' feature set & licensing for all models supported by IOS 15.0 or just newer ones such as the 860/880/890 series?
meta

meta

On the newer equipment im using, its a universal image and you enable features by license.

You need to conf t, then feature bgp, feature ospf, feature hsrp, etc. before any of the sub-sets of commands become available in configuration mode. If you dont have the license, you cant use the feature.

The whole licensing model they are moving toward is really going to make my life difficult. All of a sudden i have to play license management games with all my network equipment.
Expand your moderator at work
meta

meta

Re: IOS image 15.0.1M(ED)

No software updates without a support contract, sorry.
BigBlockChev
join:2004-09-18

BigBlockChev to mocah

to mocah
Cisco is seriously moving to a license activated system? If so, then I have suddenly lost my interest in pursuing a CCNP. I hope there is some provision for "free lab licenses" but given how complex my lab setups can be, I'm not sure how Cisco could differentiate and enforce between production and lab.

belushi
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Twinsburg, OH

belushi

Premium Member

For the purposes of your labs for the forseeable future I doubt you would need to reference IOS 15.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to meta

Premium Member

to meta
said by meta:

For lab rats like me, that puts a serious kink in my activities piracy.
said by meta:

All of a sudden i have to play license management games with all my network equipment. pay for software features instead of leeching anything that isn't locked down in the cisco.com download section.
Fixed it for you.
meta

meta

LOL nice editing =P

Honestly, my lab is a lab. Cisco advanced services actually provide me with the temporary 60 day keys for my firewalls and load balancers. Ciscos business would dramatically drop off if their advocates inside customer organizations couldnt test configuration or troubleshoot problems on lab gear. Its in their best interest to either provide special lab keys or performance limited lab images.

In fact, cisco SELLS lab bundles for new equipment. If you want a Nexus 7010 (with activation keys) for 90% off list, they do indeed sell special packages... and Nexus 5010's... and 6504 sup720 ace bundles....

The production environments i manage are all legitimately licensed, however i have over a dozen firewall service modules, same with ACEs, probablly closer to 30 ASA's... All of which have bloody activation keys. argh!

Today my SE spent 4 hours with the BU to get me lost activation keys for a firewall service module we got refurb. They claim its still owned by a company in the united arab emorates.

Anyways, we already have to install the license management software so we can roll out global SSL VPN license pooling to save some cash. Its just frustrating to see the transition from a hardware to a software company come to life.

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

PA23 to caedmon

to caedmon
For those superstitious people, 13 is an unlucky number. A friend of mine mentioned that 14 sounds to similar to something bad in in the PAC rim area but wasn't sure.

I guess just like the Chevy NO GO (Nova) at least somebody may have done some research first.

But lets see, Software trains - T = Temperamental and M = Mediocre

godrick
@bethere.co.uk

godrick to mocah

Anon

to mocah
I tried the new image on a 2801 and found that it wanted some licensing stuff on boot, but the crashed and restarted repeatedly with some CPU hog issues. Back to 12.4.15T10