sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay

MVM

It's Laughable isn't it

Got to give them credit. It takes balls to be so blatantly fake. Sometimes you wonder if they are so far down the path of astroturfing that they believe what they preach themselves. Or if they are truly self-aware and know full well the fleecing of the public they are executing and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

Guys like Sam Simon have to be aware. The webs the guy is weaving are simply too ingenious. The organizations, I'm not always sure about.

I spoke with someone at the National Association of the Deaf recently to try and answer this exact question. When I asked them why they were supporting a particular piece of legislation that would actually HARM their constituents, they were completely oblivious to what the bill in question even did.

They were also kind of oblivious to the problems raised by letting Verizon write the entire technology issue portion of their website (they've since updated it).

I get the feeling that the people in charge of fund raising simply do this on their own, and any moral questions that are raised for parroting awful positions are quickly nullified by a nice, shiny check.

On one side you can't blame them for wanting the funding, especially when I'm sure donations are down during a recession. And if constituent are lucky, maybe even some of it actually winds up helping somebody. But I don't think the harm done on the policy level and the damage done to a group's integrity makes it worth it. But that's just me. I don't pride cold cash above all else.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:

But I don't think the harm done on the policy level and the damage done to a group's integrity makes it worth it. But that's just me. I don't pride cold cash above all else.
I have a question. Purely hypothetical, of course.

Is it a coincidence that there are extremely few negative articles about Google on the BBR front page? The Google that provides most of the ad revenue to BBR.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by FFH5:

Is it a coincidence that there are extremely few negative articles about Google on the BBR front page? The Google that provides most of the ad revenue to BBR.
Weak! That's not fair at all.

»Malware Peddlers Latch Onto Google Wave Interest ... Google Wave attacked by malware ...

»CyanogenMod in trouble? ... Google threatens modder ...

»Privacy issues continue to dog Google's Gmail

»Tuesday Morning Links ... Google won't defend user privacy in lawsuits

»So Much For Google The ISP, Huh?

»Friday Evening Links ... Google's unfair maps competition

»Google Voice Ban Is Clear Network Neutrality Violation

»Google Announces PC Operating System ... (points out its just Chrome over Linux)

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode to FFH5

News Guy

to FFH5
I have a question. Purely hypothetical, of course.

Hah. Did you just infer that I, somebody who rants endlessly about transparency and integrity, don't criticize Google because I'm afraid it would impact Google Adsense revenue I have absolutely nothing to do with?

Pretty funny.

You're off your game today, Tom.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Karl, I'm disabled and are as puzzled as you are. The internet is vital to me: it lets me shop online without trekking (and struggling) through stores. I can get access to medical information, pay my bills, do my banking, order my prescriptions and connect with the latest in health research and new technological improvements that could help me in the future. I benefit from an implanted medical device that wirelessly recharges -- like the new (expensive) laptop offered by Dell -- and I can't imagine risking the loss of such a precious resource.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords
said by funchords:
said by FFH5:

Weak! That's not fair at all.

»Malware Peddlers Latch Onto Google Wave Interest ... Google Wave attacked by malware ...

»CyanogenMod in trouble? ... Google threatens modder ...

»Privacy issues continue to dog Google's Gmail

»Tuesday Morning Links ... Google won't defend user privacy in lawsuits

»So Much For Google The ISP, Huh?

»Friday Evening Links ... Google's unfair maps competition

»Google Voice Ban Is Clear Network Neutrality Violation

»Google Announces PC Operating System ... (points out its just Chrome over Linux)
LOL. Most of those aren't NEGATIVE rants by Karl like those he unleashes on AT&T or Comcast. They were merely news articles. And half of them weren't by Karl but by REVCB with 1 line new links. If you had to dig that hard to find that, you prove my point.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

You need a hobby.