share rss forum feed

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

Hey everyone needs awards

I guess everyone needs to be rewarded. I got out of bed on tme today I got a gold star on the wall. 10 gold stars is this guy has some spending money \o/.

Seriously though WTF why isn't this illegal saldy I can anwser my own question fucking greedy politicians and companies.
--
That was the wild boar.... Moo!
My podcast: The Banzai Beat »www.banzaibeat.com
Expand your moderator at work

michigandave

join:2007-05-16
Fenton, MI
reply to Chiyo

Re: Hey everyone needs awards

said by Chiyo:

Seriously though WTF why isn't this illegal saldy I can anwser my own question fucking greedy politicians and companies.
And years in court because any laws to squash astroturfing will be fought under the 1st Amendment banner.
--

gkar1

join:2001-03-29
Chicago, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by michigandave:

said by Chiyo:

And years in court because any laws to squash astroturfing will be fought under the 1st Amendment banner.
Corporations have no and should not have full first amendment rights, ever. They are not individuals, they are creatures of the state, created and allowed to exist by the state for the sole purpose of generating profit for a group of individuals and to protect them in case their business venture fails. That way collectors only go after the corporation's assets and not those of the individuals who formed the company.

The government has selectively restricted first amendment rights for corporations throughout history to curtail their use of monetary might and size to influence laws in their favor. Remember what happened to Standard Oil for example.

Read up on the recent Hillary Clinton movie ban scandal to get a better picture of the battle that will go up to the Supreme Court soon. It basically boils down to allowing corporations to have the same full first amendment rights as an individual. This would mean they'd have no spending limits in regards to campaign contributions, formation of interest lobbying groups, commercials or any kind of media favoring/opposing candidates, etc.

What is worse is that corporations can afford to lose this battle because it would just continue the status quo, but the law lumps worker's unions together with corporations so in the end they win by nullifying the influence of unions.