spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bramsworth

@covad.net

DSL doesn't connect for hours on end

This is really annoying me. For the past few days my interenet doesn't connect EVER. Right now, this is one of it's "i'll give you 15min before I disconnect again for the rest of the day" moments.

What could possibly be the problem? I remember, just one night surfing as usual and then suddenly a website didn't connect. I thought nothing of it until I've gone the past few days with at most only 30min of internet or something.

I called cyberonic and spent over an hour on the phone setting upmy router, and replacing the Efficient networks router I have right now with this other blue one they sent a couple years back. Still nothing works. They're sending a new modem monday but come on, this connection should work fine, it clearly is capable of it still, though only for very short amounts of time.

Does anyone have any idea at all what the problem could be? I have business and work to take care of on this thing, and it's completely ruining my life right now.

easys

join:2009-10-05

Is that a 3g wireless connection? If so, I had similar problem that was caused by broken pin in antenna cable.

ross7

join:2000-08-16
reply to Bramsworth

said by Bramsworth :

This is really annoying me. For the past few days my interenet doesn't connect EVER. Right now, this is one of it's "i'll give you 15min before I disconnect again for the rest of the day" moments.

What could possibly be the problem? I remember, just one night surfing as usual and then suddenly a website didn't connect. I thought nothing of it until I've gone the past few days with at most only 30min of internet or something.

I called cyberonic and spent over an hour on the phone setting upmy router, and replacing the Efficient networks router I have right now with this other blue one they sent a couple years back. Still nothing works. They're sending a new modem monday but come on, this connection should work fine, it clearly is capable of it still, though only for very short amounts of time.

Does anyone have any idea at all what the problem could be? I have business and work to take care of on this thing, and it's completely ruining my life right now.
You have service through Cyberonic/COVAD over Telco copper? I would look to COVAD to check for router issues first, then their line card at the CO DSLAM, then DNS server, and then whether or not your local Telco accidentally on purpose stole your line pair to give to one of their direct customers... Any new tenants in your building, or in your neighborhood, connected through your nearest Telco junction box? Have your Cyberonic rep contact COVAD and request the Telco check for bridge taps that may have "mysteriously" appeared on your line pair lately (usually indicates the Telco has appropriated your former line pair for one of their new connects because they couldn't find a quiet pair in the spares of your F2 cable for their direct customer's new service). COVAD used to have a lot of trouble with their hub routers in San Jose and San Francisco, CA. I'm sure over-subscription practices can severely affect service as well. You can request Cyberonic temporarily place your line in "safe mode", i.e., a reduced speed tier, to see if the line/signal quality improves. Your last resort is to demand COVAD schedule a vendor meet with your Telco's field techs to analyze your line.

If the situation continues for more than a week, sign up with a new ADSL ISP, and ask them to hot-swap your Cyberonic service. In the process of setting up your account and getting your service established, the new ISP will be much more attentive and responsive to line quality issues.

phrider

join:1999-12-17
Pasadena, CA
reply to Bramsworth

Do you have "dry line" service? Or shared DSL and voice on the same line?

If it's "dry line", connect a regular phone to the line, and see if you get a dialtone. If you get a dialtone, your line has be re-used by the local telco for serving another customer ("stolen"). Call a local line or cell phone with CallerID service from that line, and you'll even know whose line it is. Give this info to Cyberonic / Covad to aid in their complaint to the telco....

I had the Sprint ION dry line DSL service in 2000-2001, and AT&T/SBC/PacBell would steal my dry line about every 6 weeks. It was one of the issues that helped kill Sprint ION in 2001.

Bramsworth

@popsite.net
reply to Bramsworth

I've had it with Cyberonic. My DSL just isn't ever going to work again, and whenever I call I just get kept going through the exact same instructions over and over to get the blue Briteport router working. I keep questioning their logic because:

1. My Efficient Networks router has worked perfectly well ever since I got it.

2. I keep telling them the stupid Briteport one doesn't even stay consistent, it just keeps dropping in speed. Am I supposed to compromise for a screw up on their end and be stuck with that router were it to somehow be the only one that could work?

3. My connection DOES sometimes come back for a few minutes in between. In fact, my connection came back to working normally for a whole week recently, only to now for the past 4 days to yet again refuse to connect. Does that NOT sound like it indicates some problem other than I'm using the wrong router, when it's proven that it can work perfectly fine when allowed to?

They just don't get it. Make me go through all of this when they've clearly messed up somewhere. I've subscribed to a different ISP for much faster and much cheaper now, and as soon as I get it I'm ditching these people. I've been a loyal customer for 4 years or so now, I don't expect to never have the internet again here. If they can't give me a straight answer as to why it isn't working right then they just don't know what they're doing.

ross7

said by Bramsworth :

I've had it with Cyberonic. My DSL just isn't ever going to work again, and whenever I call I just get kept going through the exact same instructions over and over to get the blue Briteport router working. I keep questioning their logic because:

1. My Efficient Networks router has worked perfectly well ever since I got it.

2. I keep telling them the stupid Briteport one doesn't even stay consistent, it just keeps dropping in speed. Am I supposed to compromise for a screw up on their end and be stuck with that router were it to somehow be the only one that could work?

3. My connection DOES sometimes come back for a few minutes in between. In fact, my connection came back to working normally for a whole week recently, only to now for the past 4 days to yet again refuse to connect. Does that NOT sound like it indicates some problem other than I'm using the wrong router, when it's proven that it can work perfectly fine when allowed to?

They just don't get it. Make me go through all of this when they've clearly messed up somewhere. I've subscribed to a different ISP for much faster and much cheaper now, and as soon as I get it I'm ditching these people. I've been a loyal customer for 4 years or so now, I don't expect to never have the internet again here. If they can't give me a straight answer as to why it isn't working right then they just don't know what they're doing. [BINGO!]
The Efficient ADSL modem/router is a much better box than the Briteport piece 'o crap. Throw the Briteport back to Cyberonic; or, in the trash since they probably don't want it either.

Signing up for service from another provider will be a "no regrets" decision no matter how bad they might be or become. At least, they will probably answer your e-mails, and return your telephone calls, unlike Cyberonic.

Cyberonic doesn't care how long you have been a customer. Their tendency is to ignore newcomer and old veteran alike. Once you have signed up for a contract term, they will extract a way too large ETF beyond your 30-day right to cancel, unless you are month to month.

rwhubert
Premium
join:2002-07-26
Atlanta, GA

I've had the same trouble with the Briteport modem for several weeks. My Covad connection has tremendous latency at the Atlanta connect point as measured by DSL Reports Line Quality testing. It's gotten to the point that web pages just keep loading forever and never finish loading, no matter what browser I use.

I tried listening for a dialtone to see if my dryline had been "stolen," but I heard nothing so I assume that's not the problem

Also, I recently learned that Cyberonic is billing me $99 per month for a 6mb/s connection that is now listed on their website as costing $69/month. For $99 over dryline (which I have), I should be getting 10mb/s via ADSL 2+

ross7

said by rwhubert:

I've had the same trouble with the Briteport modem for several weeks. My Covad connection has tremendous latency at the Atlanta connect point as measured by DSL Reports Line Quality testing. It's gotten to the point that web pages just keep loading forever and never finish loading, no matter what browser I use.

I tried listening for a dialtone to see if my dryline had been "stolen," but I heard nothing so I assume that's not the problem

Also, I recently learned that Cyberonic is billing me $99 per month for a 6mb/s connection that is now listed on their website as costing $69/month. For $99 over dryline (which I have), I should be getting 10mb/s via ADSL 2+
Typical... and you never will get what you pay for from Cyberonic.

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA

From my experience with Cyberonic, your observation is accurate. I've decided to switch to Interlync, since there have been no horror stories posted about them that I'm aware of. At least maybe they will work with Covad to solve the problem of slow first hops and glacial connections to the west coast. Here are my results from the Line Quality test:

First hop ping 100% loss unknown reason 72ms to first hop

From east coast USA to you
ae-7.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net 19% loss

I thought this was a Foxfire problem. What it actually is ... Users of Covad ISP's that use this Atlanta server are all getting this. If I go to the Covad forum to complain about it, they will just say "Covad is not your ISP" and send me back to Cyberonic!

ross7

I hate to say it, but direct Telco DSL or fiber is probably the cheapest, no-middleman way to go. COVAD is a waste of fucking space. They have an enforcible agreement with AT&T whose copper they use, but they refuse to force AT&T to correct line problems AT&T is responsible for. Hell, half the time, AT&T field techs will not even show up for scheduled vendor meets, let alone give notice they don't intend to show. That is a penalty event under the terms of the COVAD-AT&T agreement, but AT&T doesn't care, and COVAD will not enforce a meet. There is no way to prove which party is lying, and a near certainty both are.

The only way to avoid the ISP/CLEC/ILEC two-step is contract directly with the Telco. At least then you KNOW who isn't answering the phone, who isn't returning your calls, whose equipment if so fucked up it can't deliver the contracted speed and UPTIME, and, in the end, who doesn't give a rat's ass about your account.

Most COVAD resellers are decent about raising trouble ticket issues with COVAD, but they have no way to force COVAD to produce a satisfactory solution. Cyberonic does not follow through at all. I know because I had them for DSL when MCI was the ILEC, and stayed with them when COVAD became their backbone provider. DSL under MCI was bliss; nearly full rated speed contracted for, 99% uptime, bridged ATM connection, no PPPOE! COVAD service is shit.

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Okay, so Covad sucks, but here's the problem from my vantage point. I cannot get a dryline from ATT, which is the only ILEC in this region, because ATT refuses to offer drylines, only crummy shared lines. I don't want no damn shared line, I want 8, 10, 15 Mb/sec, so I must have a dryline to get that. That means I'm stuck with Covad. I'm not stuck with Cyberonic, but all the rest of the ISP's also use Covad, so I'm still stuck with them, even if I change ISP's. Covad can't deliver anything but shitty connections, so what can I do?

ross7

1 edit

said by rwhubert:

Okay, so Covad sucks, but here's the problem from my vantage point. I cannot get a dryline from ATT, which is the only ILEC in this region, because ATT refuses to offer drylines, only crummy shared lines. I don't want no damn shared line, I want 8, 10, 15 Mb/sec, so I must have a dryline to get that. That means I'm stuck with Covad. I'm not stuck with Cyberonic, but all the rest of the ISP's also use Covad, so I'm still stuck with them, even if I change ISP's. Covad can't deliver anything but shitty connections, so what can I do?
I don't know why you can't get AT&T dryline service. AT&T offers it nearly everywhere, but you must sign up through their website, as I recall, and that internal link is hard to find... Have you called and asked your AT&T associate to point you to the dryline sign-up link on their website? I would.

Some links:

»www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11523

»connect.att.com/apps/supern/Star···gory=dsl

»tinyurl.com/y94nskd

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Yes, it turns out AT&T does offer dryline service, but only up to 6mbps. So for higher speeds I still need Covad. I'm going to try to get Cyberonic to have Covad fix the connection, then if that fails, I'll either go with AT&T or sign up with another ISP. I don't really see any reason why this should be happening after nearly 5 years of decent service with few outages.

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to ross7

I had Cyberonic tech ping the modem and they told me -- SURPRISE! -- there is no problem with my connection. Amazing, ain't it.

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to ross7

said by ross7:

I hate to say it, but direct Telco DSL or fiber is probably the cheapest, no-middleman way to go. COVAD is a waste of fucking space. They have an enforcible agreement with AT&T whose copper they use, but they refuse to force AT&T to correct line problems AT&T is responsible for. Hell, half the time, AT&T field techs will not even show up for scheduled vendor meets, let alone give notice they don't intend to show. That is a penalty event under the terms of the COVAD-AT&T agreement, but AT&T doesn't care, and COVAD will not enforce a meet. There is no way to prove which party is lying, and a near certainty both are.

The only way to avoid the ISP/CLEC/ILEC two-step is contract directly with the Telco. At least then you KNOW who isn't answering the phone, who isn't returning your calls, whose equipment if so fucked up it can't deliver the contracted speed and UPTIME, and, in the end, who doesn't give a rat's ass about your account.

Most COVAD resellers are decent about raising trouble ticket issues with COVAD, but they have no way to force COVAD to produce a satisfactory solution. Cyberonic does not follow through at all. I know because I had them for DSL when MCI was the ILEC, and stayed with them when COVAD became their backbone provider. DSL under MCI was bliss; nearly full rated speed contracted for, 99% uptime, bridged ATM connection, no PPPOE! COVAD service is shit.
I decided to dump Cyberonic/Covad and switch to AT&T FastAccess DSL Direct Xtreme6. I hope AT&T willl use the same copper pair that is now connected to Covad, but I don't know that yet. If not, then I will have to hunt for the right pair out of about 6 tangled messes. The DSL Xtreme6 is $48/month. Cyberonic was billing me $90/month for the same speed, 6000/768. This way, I'm cutting out two middlemen, Cyberonic and Covad both and will still be getting 6000/768, hopefully without the lags which Cyberonic claimed didn't exist.

ross7

said by rwhubert:

said by ross7:

I decided to dump Cyberonic/Covad and switch to AT&T FastAccess DSL Direct Xtreme6. I hope AT&T willl use the same copper pair that is now connected to Covad, but I don't know that yet. If not, then I will have to hunt for the right pair out of about 6 tangled messes. The DSL Xtreme6 is $48/month. Cyberonic was billing me $90/month for the same speed, 6000/768. This way, I'm cutting out two middlemen, Cyberonic and Covad both and will still be getting 6000/768, hopefully without the lags which Cyberonic claimed didn't exist.
Too bad tech support won't improve by as high a percentage... But, a wise, and economical, choice.

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA

I can't realistically expect good tech support from a mega-trust like AT&T, hell I had to get transferred several times to talk with a native English speaker who knows tech. But their rates are good and they provide old fashioned bridged connections, not cantankerous routers with PPPoE, so I can use my own router. I wasn't even aware AT&T had dry-line service until you pointed it out. They call it FastAccess DSL Direct Xtreme6. I hope not to have the constant freeze-ups and eternal page loads that I had before, when Cyberonic claimed everything was just fine and dandy. Activation is set for Dec. 16, so I'll see you on the other side. Arrivederci Cyberonic, adios Covad!

rwhubert
Premium
Atlanta, GA

1 edit
reply to Bramsworth

Last night I switched from Cyberonic/Covad to AT&T DSL Direct Xtreme6. The connections are better and faster, but I still have the same problem: When I click a link some servers take forever to load a page. It just keeps trying to load without ever finishing. Clicking the STOP button often brings up a blank page. This happens most often on hyperlinks, especially links to subdomains. It does not always do this, and it does not do it on all websites, only some of them. I have tried ...

Switching ISP's, no difference. Connections are fine.
Three different browsers, same result.
Disabling all Foxfire add-ons, no change.
Reverting to earlier versions of Foxfire, no dice.
IE and Opera, no improvement.
Running Malwarebytes and AVG mutiple times, nothing found.
Unistalling Flashplayer, same old bullshit.
Checking Windows XP settings, all is normal.
Checking system CMOS settings, no tweaks, all defualt.
Defragging hard drive, it didn't even need it.
Disabling Zone Alarm and AVG.

[throwing hands high into the air]

Okay, you got me. I give up! The last resort is to uninstall XP SP3. Does anyone think that will help? Any other ideas?