Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

[HELP] TDMOIP

does anyone here have any experience with TDMoIP ?

I am looking to discuss the differences between TDMoIP and SAToP.

Domwilko
CCVP, CCNP, CCNA, CCDA

join:2002-03-02
UK
kudos:1

What do you consider to be the advantages of TDMoIP (TDM over IP) and SAToP (Structure Agnostic TDM over Packet) over VoIP?

Most VoIP gateway now happily handle the coversion between TDM and VoIP, so what are the advantages you are looking for?
--
Domwilko - CCVP, CCNP, CCNA, CCDA

Hahausuck
Premium

1 edit
reply to Hahausuck

Not nessisarily related to voip. I am looking at pushing some T's across an ethernet link, and the mux i have been looking at using has a few different configurations. TDMoIP is one configuration mode, and the other is SAToP. The manual is not explaning when to use one over the other.

This gear is the RAD IPMUX-24.

I know since this is a Cisco forum people may not know much about this particular product, but TDMoIP actually could be looked at as a universal product. I figured since there are some WAN experts in here that I might find a suitable response.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

said by Hahausuck:

Not nessisarily related to voip. I am looking at pushing some T's across an ethernet link, and the mux i have been looking at using has a few different configurations. TDMoIP is one configuration mode, and the other is SAToP. The manual is not explaning when to use one over the other.

This gear is the RAD IPMUX-24.

I know since this is a Cisco forum people may not know much about this particular product, but TDMoIP actually could be looked at as a universal product. I figured since there are some WAN experts in here that I might find a suitable response.
I am interested in doing something similar. What gear do you have on the other end of the link?

Once you get it going please let us know how it works.

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hahausuck

I am using Moto PTP600 radios, and there is dark fiber involved.

I will share what I can.

cooldude9919

said by Hahausuck:

I am using Moto PTP600 radios, and there is dark fiber involved.

I will share what I can.
I guess i mean do you have a RAD IPMUX-24 on each end?

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to Hahausuck

Yes you need an IPMUX or a GMUX.

nosx

join:2004-12-27

1 edit

This is probablly a dumb question... but...

Im an MPLS geek. I have built dozens of pseudowires that emulated ethernet, frame relay, ATM, packet over sonet, etc.

How is a TDM over IP T1 any different than me delivering a circuit emulation T1 over ATM?
What kind of stuff are you dumping over these virtual circuits?
Is it data? Is it channelized voice? And if either of those, why not get rid of the overhead?
PVDMs can channelize and trunk voice over a digital packet switched network.

cooldude9919

said by nosx:

Im an MPLS geek. I have built dozens of pseudowires that emulated ethernet, frame relay, ATM, packet over sonet, etc.

How is a TDM over IP T1 any different than me delivering a circuit emulation T1 over ATM?
Is it data? Is it channelized voice? And if either of those, why not get rid of the overhead?
We have some older phone switches that would be costly to do VOIP upgrades. We are looking to interconnect some remote sites, but ptp t1's are also costly at large distances. So we are interested in tdm over ethernet or tdm over mpls.

Would a pvdm work for me in this case? Where can i find more information about it?

cooldude9919

said by cooldude9919:

said by nosx:

We have some older phone switches that would be costly to do VOIP upgrades. We are looking to interconnect some remote sites, but ptp t1's are also costly at large distances. So we are interested in tdm over ethernet or tdm over mpls.

Would a pvdm work for me in this case? Where can i find more information about it?
seems i would need a Cisco High-Density Digital Voice Network Modules along with at least a PVDM2-8. I guess the question is the cost of those lesss than or greater than the cost of comparable RAD gear.

nosx

I have an associate doing something similar to what you specified, he is connecting old mitel PBXs together with 3745 routers and NM-1HDV modules with PVDMs and a channelized T1 VWIC.
He is taking an analog channelized T1 in each module, converting it to a packetized voip stream, and dumping it out the other side to another PBX. The signaling is old E&M wink, etc.

The price question is probablly a good question... It depends how expandable you want the solution to be, and what the learning curve is for configuring cisco equipment to accomplish what a ready-made plug-and-pray appliance could do. The PVDM solution is certainly more flexible (you can do all kinds of call routing and voip integration once you have the routers setup, you can use callmanager for voip phone support, sip trunks, etc.)

cooldude9919

said by nosx:

I have an associate doing something similar to what you specified, he is connecting old mitel PBXs together with 3745 routers and NM-1HDV modules with PVDMs and a channelized T1 VWIC.
He is taking an analog channelized T1 in each module, converting it to a packetized voip stream, and dumping it out the other side to another PBX. The signaling is old E&M wink, etc.

The price question is probablly a good question... It depends how expandable you want the solution to be, and what the learning curve is for configuring cisco equipment to accomplish what a ready-made plug-and-pray appliance could do. The PVDM solution is certainly more flexible (you can do all kinds of call routing and voip integration once you have the routers setup, you can use callmanager for voip phone support, sip trunks, etc.)
Care to list what part numbers he is using for this? I see several different kinds of hdv modules and some have ports built in? Not sure what the vwic does for me?

We would basically be doing the same thing, but using NEC PBX's.

nosx

I'm not the person who set it up so dont have all the telephony knowledge, ill see if i can get a show inventory out of one of his routers. There is a great deal of research thats going to have to happen to figure out how the PBXs are signaling and lab validation that the configuration is going to work.

jordanl17

join:2009-10-10
Darien, CT
reply to Hahausuck

I'm very interested in this too. We have 3 locations each with Nortel Meridian 1 phone switches. The voip modules for these switches cost too much so we are looking for a way to do this over IP. They are currently connected via T1's. if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful!

Hahausuck
Premium

Hub Gateway

»www.pseudowire.com/Home/0,6583,9···,00.html

Remote Gateway

»rad.com/3-2563/Pseudowire_Remote_Gateways/

You can also tie the remotes together.