how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SkeeterB

join:2009-10-05
Lincolnshire, IL

Uverse Compatible Phones

Worked with customer support and they told me that my somewhat new Panasonic DECT phone is not compatible with call waiting. Wondering if people can post phones that are compatible. My model # that's not is: KX-TGA101S. It's a base system.

i'm looking for cordless phone systems (base plus at least 2 more phones).

Any help would be appreciated.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3

My Panasonic KX-TG9331T works fine with U-Voice.

TheDuck

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to SkeeterB

I have a uniden TRU9485 with 5 handsets that works fine. It is 5.8ghz and not sold anymore since they seem to have moved on to the new frequencies. Make sure all the phone options in the phone and in your on line account for voice setup are correct.

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1
reply to SkeeterB

All of the AT&T cordless digital sets are compatible with Uverse VoIP. Best Buy has them fairly cheap, too.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to SkeeterB

said by SkeeterB:

Worked with customer support and they told me that my somewhat new Panasonic DECT phone is not compatible with call waiting. Wondering if people can post phones that are compatible. My model # that's not is: KX-TGA101S. It's a base system.
That doesn't sound right. The model# you listed is an accessory handset. Which base do you have?

I doubt Panasonic even makes a DECT phone without Call Waiting capability.

***edit***
OK, I looked up the manual, the series should be KX-TG103xS where x=2-5, indicating # of handsets supplied. Manual page 17, at the bottom of column 1, section "FLASH button" and "For Call Waiting service users" explain how to use call waiting on this set.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to SkeeterB

And of course if you have any that work that are still sold in stores, you can always post them on here so I have an idea/list to go off of to give people when they are having incompatible phone issues. That way I can either A.) point to this post, or B.) copy all models down for a list I can keep and distribute when needed.

Thanks, Matt

U-Verse Tier II Technical Support.
--
I'm an AT&T Employee dedicated to phenomenal customer service! Don't believe me? Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
»How to Contact Tier 2 agents Hours 3PM - Midnight CST.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by mmay149q:

And of course if you have any that work that are still sold in stores, you can always post them on here so I have an idea/list to go off of to give people when they are having incompatible phone issues.
What is the problem? Isn't this a fairly old Bellcore or ITU standard? Are the phones or the RG off spec?

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by mmay149q:

And of course if you have any that work that are still sold in stores, you can always post them on here so I have an idea/list to go off of to give people when they are having incompatible phone issues.
What is the problem? Isn't this a fairly old Bellcore or ITU standard? Are the phones or the RG off spec?
Actually it's because the phone system is completely digital, that we haven't added in all phone models yet to the service, therefore some are not compatible.

Thanks, Matt

P.S. We are always working with manufacturers to correct this, but it does take time.
--
I'm an AT&T Employee dedicated to phenomenal customer service! Don't believe me? Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by mmay149q:

Actually it's because the phone system is completely digital, that we haven't added in all phone models yet to the service, therefore some are not compatible.
Call me confused.

Are you saying that if I subscribe to UVerse, I have to select a phone model from a menu in the RG setup? If the RG has a POTS jack, which I suppose is just an integrated ATA, isn't it converting digital to analog?
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by mmay149q:

Call me confused.

Are you saying that if I subscribe to UVerse, I have to select a phone model from a menu in the RG setup? If the RG has a POTS jack, which I suppose is just an integrated ATA, isn't it converting digital to analog?
No, my apologies, I'm not saying that, what I'm saying is that on our end (here at the office) we are working with all phone manufacturers to make each type of phone compatible with our service, all of that said above is on our end, not on the end of the member.

Edit: if you know anything about TV's, it's kind of the same thing with each TV manufacturer trying to make their own version of HDMI, does that make any sense?

Thanks, Matt

--

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by mmay149q:

...I'm saying is that on our end (here at the office) we are working with all phone manufacturers to make each type of phone compatible with our service, all of that said above is on our end, not on the end of the member.

...if you know anything about TV's, it's kind of the same thing with each TV manufacturer trying to make their own version of HDMI, does that make any sense?
Yes, makes sense but ...

If you're handing off to an analog device, the specs will be voltage, frequency, hookflash interval, polarity reversal, stuff like that.

Like Bellcore TR-30 as referenced in this document:
»www.att.com/Large-Files/RIMS/Net···0099.pdf

There are always slight differences in how things are handled by an EWSD vs. 5ESS vs. DMS100 vs. RG ... but if everybody follows TR-30 everything should work.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

JerryC0
Premium
join:2009-09-21
Collierville, TN

1 edit
reply to SkeeterB

I read on one of the forums that a Panasonic KX-TG9391T worked will Call Waiting ID so I ordered one from Amazon.

It worked when when I first tested it, and it did just now, but I did have a call come in yesterday on call waiting and the ID did not display. It does take at least two rings before the Call Waiting ID displays and I may not have waited long enough.

It's a good 2 line phone, the base handset and speakerphone are nearly perfect as far as voice quality and background noise. The cordless handset has just a little background noise in it. You can expand it to 6 cordless handsets. The cordless handsets are two line capable as well.

The handset on the base works for Line 1 without AC power, a nice plus if the power goes out.

The answering system has VM for each line and keeps the messages separated for each line.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
reply to ArgMeMatey

With U-Voice this seems to be a bit more of an issue. This has been a known problem with VoIP providers in general.

ozzy6900

join:2005-01-11
West Haven, CT
kudos:1
reply to SkeeterB

I have 2 older, wired, AT&T Lucent phones that sound terrible on VoIP. I have an old Western Electric desk set that is quiet as a mouse on VoIP. My cordless AT&T sets work fine.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SkeeterB

Click for full size
“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, for I am the great and powerful AT&T!”

I know I'm beating a dead horse but the fact that they can't get this right is beyond ironic.

Every caller ID set, wired and wireless, that I've tried with my 5-year-old $100 Sipura ATA has worked flawlessly. That includes Uniden, Panasonic, Vtech, American Telecom (After-rebate giveaways from Walgreens and Office Depot).

Maybe they should call Kazuo Hashimoto for some pointers.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Calle···iver.jpg
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

bashful9999

join:2006-02-18
Geneva, IL
reply to SkeeterB

I've got a fairly new (2 months old) DECT Panasonic KX-TG7431 set. Works perfectly fine with call waiting and 3-way calling features and my Uverse setup. No issues.

Keoway
Premium
join:2009-08-29
Seneca, SC
reply to SkeeterB

My Vtech Model LS6125 appears to be working fine.

I purchased it at Best Buy in July 2008 in a 2 handset package which included a second charger base. [It had a lower price at Target, so I got a price match rebate.] The user manual suggests that they have bundles with 3, 4, or 5 handsets.

In my case, the Vtech DECT 6.0 phone has: (1) successfully received a call waiting interrupt, (2) reported the number/name in the phone log, and (3) activated the "new voice mail" indicator.

[Note: Individual mileage may vary. The prem tech is just barely out the door. I've only been live with U-Verse for around 3 hours.]

tberg

join:2001-08-23
Greenville, SC
reply to SkeeterB

Just got uVerse today (TV, Internet and VoIP).
My old Uniden DCT646 series works fine with the RG.

bullyboy

join:2006-05-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to mmay149q

Matt, shouldn't my ATT SL82318 system work as it did with POTS?

After Uverse installation:

1. all outgoing calls are marked as PRIVATE
2. incoming calls to an idle line display name as UNAVAILABLE, and display the number. (If we already have the name/telno programmed, the name we assigned also displays with the number.)
3. when on a call, an incoming call shows neither name nor number, giving us only a tone. That effectively neuters CW.

IMHO it seems like any ATT system should be compatible from the get-go. (Especially to a gnarly old ATT retiree...)

Thanks from Hoover, Al.

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX

said by bullyboy:

Matt, shouldn't my ATT SL82318 system work as it did with POTS?

After Uverse installation:

1. all outgoing calls are marked as PRIVATE
2. incoming calls to an idle line display name as UNAVAILABLE, and display the number. (If we already have the name/telno programmed, the name we assigned also displays with the number.)
3. when on a call, an incoming call shows neither name nor number, giving us only a tone. That effectively neuters CW.

IMHO it seems like any ATT system should be compatible from the get-go. (Especially to a gnarly old ATT retiree...)

Thanks from Hoover, Al.
To answer you, not all telephones are 100% digital, and the way the U-verse RG puts out a signal is a constant electrical stream (48 volts) instead of the signal cutting off when the phone isn't in use (The RG powers the phone lines in your house, it no longer comes all the way from the central office) but particularly for your issue, it could either be a phone issue, or something on our end, if you send an e-mail to uversecare@att.com one of us would be happy to look into it.

Thanks, Matt

U-verse Tier II Technical Support.
--
»How to Contact Tier 2 agents Hours 12PM - 9PM CST.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by mmay149q:

To answer you, not all telephones are 100% digital, and the way the U-verse RG puts out a signal is a constant electrical stream (48 volts) instead of the signal cutting off when the phone isn't in use (The RG powers the phone lines in your house, it no longer comes all the way from the central office) but particularly for your issue, it could either be a phone issue, or something on our end ...
Constant electrical stream? Signal cutting off? Huh?

How does "100% digital" come into play on the analog connection between the RG and the cordless base station?

The cordless simply expects -48 VDC at idle and some minimum threshold voltage off-hook.

It wants an FSK caller ID message after the first ring and a similar message for CWCID.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

FattyAcid5

join:2009-10-27
Houston, TX

ArgMeMatey:

You're right of course. The tier 2 guys are great--but they're not electrical engineers. They're trying to answer people's questions, and unfortunately they're not given good explanations as to why problems are occurring.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by FattyAcid5:

ArgMeMatey:
They're trying to answer people's questions, and unfortunately they're not given good explanations as to why problems are occurring.
I agree ... you're right! I am not an electrical engineer either. I know it sounds bad but when I have a problem, I'd rather talk to somebody that tells me they have no idea what's wrong but they're working on it, than someone who just makes stuff up hoping it will either make me feel better or intimidate me.

This whole thread seems to be about workarounds when the real problem sounds like a chip or the power supply in the RG. I am wondering if it's something they can fix with a firmware or software update or if the hardware is bad.

Not the sort of thing I guess I should expect AT&T employees to comment on in a public thread. I always wonder if it's a departmental secret ("Don't tell support or their boss will go to our boss's boss, and then we're going to be sleeping under our desks until it's fixed"), a contractual obligation to not impugn a vendor, or an internal "just don't tell the customer" secret.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder
Expand your moderator at work

fltelman

join:2004-01-18
Middleburg, FL

2 edits
reply to JerryC0

Re: Uverse Compatible Phones

I have the same problem. When I first got VOIP, call waiting ID didn't work. I searched the forums and found that you needed a Panasonic DECT phones. I have panasonic model KX-TGA1018 DECT 6.0 cordless phones. After a few months I called Tier @ and they did something and it worked. After a few weeks it quit working again. Called tier 2 and they checked on it, they put me on a 32 meg profile and it worked. Now it is not working again. The only thing that has changed recently is I have the VDSL2 upgrade.

fltelman

join:2004-01-18
Middleburg, FL
reply to SkeeterB

So I called a tel # from my Home phone, while connected I used my AT&T wireless phone to call the home # and it didn't ID on the Call Waiting.

Now that I just posted it that it wasn't working.

My wife called home from her AT&T wireless phone, while I was talking to her I called my home using my AT&T wireless phone and the CWCID worked.

So I guess it works sometimes but not all the time. Before I switched to Uverse voice Caller ID deluxe worked everytime.
Same cordless phones.

JerryC0
Premium
join:2009-09-21
Collierville, TN

I've that sometimes it more than just a couple of rings for the CW CID to show. When I was testing I'd use my cell as a test and hang up too soon until I figured out it might take 3, 4 rings before it showed up.