Search similar:

uniqs

JSolari
@frontiernet.net

JSolari

Anon

Frontier change IP Address

Hey all,

Does anyone know how often frontier changes there IP addresses?

Reason I ask is I VNC into my IMAC. I am in the process of setting up DynDNS but havent had the chance.

Also does anyone know if I can use my own domain name with DynDNS??

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

3 edits

Smith6612

MVM

In my area Frontier will chance an IP usually once every several weeks. It's started to become a bit more often (basically one chance once a week) but I assume this is due to them performing work in my area during the middle of the night, killing the PPPoA server for a few minutes. If you check your modem logs, you can find out when a new PPPoE connection is established, and when the DSL goes down/up and base your chances of the IP changing on that. You can log into your modem at »192.168.254.254 and the username and password is admin/admin if you are using the SpeedStreams.

A DynDNS account is pretty easy to set up and can be set up within 10 minutes. The SpeedStream modems that Frontier hands out are capable of acting as the updater client for DynDNS (I use it on my SpeedStream. Checks for update every hour as indicated by the log, and updates the DNS when the modem is booted or the IP changes), so you won't need to leave your Mac on with updating software in order for updates to happen. For your own domain, I'm pretty sure DynDNS can set you up with something. They do hand out free ones which are something such as yourdomain.homeip.net but I'm positive you can get your own unique domain name none the less.

JSolari
@frontiernet.net

JSolari to JSolari

Anon

to JSolari
unfortunetly I am using my own router bridged. The router I am using does not have DYNDns Feature. Can I still use the Frontier modem option?
mkrasz
join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY

mkrasz

If your asking 'can I still use the Frontier modem DynDNS option' - yes, as long as it is not bridged.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to JSolari

MVM

to JSolari
I believe I recall helping you bridge your SpeedStream at one time. What router do you have by the way?

JSolari
@paetec.com

JSolari to JSolari

Anon

to JSolari
I did bridge mine. I have a airport extreme.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to JSolari

MVM

to JSolari
Well, by the looks of things the Airport Extreme doesn't seem to have a built-in client, but if your Mac is going to be on for much of the time, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to find a DNS updater that supports DynDNS to run on the Mac.