join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Webpages slow to load

Has anyone else noticed reliability issues in the last several days? I have noticed that in the evenings, web pages are rather slow to load (and sometimes do not load at all). Also, I am only getting a 58% download QOS when testing here: »myspeed.visualware.com/voip/

liviorn
join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM

liviorn

It wasn't full speed in the evenings at all times (~62% dl @9PM right now), nothing to be surprised about, but that did not affect web-browsing. Sites i'm vising all work ok, unless they are appear down for everyone

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

I had a similar problem about a month or so ago. VoIP was useless, my upstream was pitiful but my downstream was usually acceptable or within range. I think it was an upstream noise problem (AKA localized); took a few days to get fixed.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by Pashune:

I had a similar problem about a month or so ago. VoIP was useless, my upstream was pitiful but my downstream was usually acceptable or within range.
I have just the opposite problem. My upstream is just fine, but my downstream QOS is ~50%!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Are your modem stats within range?

Go to »192.168.100.1/ and post your SNR, downstream/upstream power, etc. here.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

cable modem stats
Alright here is what I have from my cable modem:

Downstream
Channel Power: -1.2 dBmV
SNR: 33.565 dB

Upstream
Channel Power: 42.6 dBmV

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Try using »www.opendns.com/ to see if things improve.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Good suggestion... But I am already using OpenDNS!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

1 edit

Pashune to areoh

Premium Member

to areoh
Your upload and download output power are both great, but your downstream SNR is a bit on the low side. It's good to have 35 or better. Lower SNRs mean more room for noise to sneak in and add errors to your line.

Make sure all of your cables are firmly connected (Splitters, TVs, STB, and of course the modem). Also make sure your cable to the modem is RG-6. RG-59 has a bit more signal loss.

Also, Linksys (and possibly other routers) can emit enough RFI to lower a modem's SNR if the two devices are too close to each other (I had an old Linksys router that lowered my modem's SNR by 1 db once.)

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Did you swap back to CableOne's DNS to ensure it's not an issue on OpenDNS?

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Yes, I did try to use Cableone's DNS as well. It did not seem to matter much one way or the other.

My internet seems to have been better the last few days, actually. It was really bad for a few days, though. I think that CableOne was either having capacity issues, or was doing upgrades. I just wish that they would have admitted this on the phone when I called them!

areoh
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

areoh

Sadly, I don't think the phone reps always know what's going on. When I called the other week to upgrade to one of the new plans, the rep wasn't even aware there where any. In fact, she tried to argue that there wasn't such a plan available (even though I was on a trial period on the said plan the day before.) How does this NOT get discussed with the entire team?

Naturally, I was put on hold so she cold go ask the higher ups. The issue was expedited to the Internet Manager.