uniqs

jlramirez
Premium Member
join:2004-10-01
Sugar Grove, IL

jlramirez

Premium Member

"sticky" IPs, MACs and IP addresses

What is the best way around a cable provider that uses "sticky" IPs based on MAC addresses when you are supposed to have a block of 5 IPs? I'm used to the traditional blocks given from providers however Mediacom does things a bit differently.

I'm told only 1 IP per MAC and am trying to figure out a way around it on a ASA 5505 device. Any ideas?

TIA
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Let me ask you this. Does Mediacom support a block of 5 IP addresses?

Typically only DSL or "real services" such as T1 that support such IP block. If Mediacom does not support such, then the discussion is a moot point
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

If its a business account they can allocate more blocks.
They usually just add a static route for whatever subnet they allocate and point it at your customer devices external IP.

jlramirez
Premium Member
Sugar Grove, IL

jlramirez to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
They apparently don't route the block, only assign IPs to MACs but allow multiple statics if I have multiple MACs.

Unfortunately they don't do it like everyone else seems to (ie. Comcast, AT&T, etc) for business accounts.

I thought I read somewhere (wish I remembered) a way to have the ASA use multiple MACs but that was probably trunking I'm thinking of and sub-ifs.
meta

meta

Thats a crock of BS from them lol
I havent met a business service provider yet that wouldnt add a static route for cash.
Usually the point to point transit address is completely separate from the "lan block" of public addresses they assign and add the static route for.
Id just escalate with ur account rep and get them to make it work, or suggest how to configure your firewall to somehow actually use all the addresses you are paying for (and need).

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to jlramirez

MVM

to jlramirez
Sub-ifs will typically share the same MAC address as the physical interface they are created on, normally because sub-ifs are in different VLANs, and it is not necessary to provide unique MAC addresses in each VLAN.

Im not sure if you can change the MAC on a sub-if either. Probably depends on the platform and software features.

claydean
join:2003-04-22
Ankeny, IA

claydean

Mediacom does not offer the ability to have more than 1 ip assigned per MAC with their cable modem offering. If you were to go the fiber route, they can route whatever size block is needed.

jlramirez
Premium Member
Sugar Grove, IL

2 edits

jlramirez to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
I have the Sec+ license on my 5505. I'm wondering.... Could I do multiple VLANs on different ASA ports (configuring more than 1 outside interface on the other ethernet ports) and assign their statics to the other ports designated as 'outside' ports and do the NAT/Static maps that way with perhaps a single inside port?

Just a thought... Not sure how well the ASA would adapt but was an idea...

EDIT: That won't work as I can't have IPs in the same subnet overlapping other VLANs....
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919

Why cant mediacom do it like charter & time warner cable and just route you a subnet? Crappy non-rip network?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

said by cooldude9919:

Crappy non-rip network?
I would consider a network running RIP to be crappy.
cooldude9919

1 edit

cooldude9919

said by TomS_:

said by cooldude9919:

Crappy non-rip network?
I would consider a network running RIP to be crappy.
You would consider a HFC cable network running a bridged network to be better than a routed one? Or are you just saying rip in general? I thought thats what most routed cable modem networks used.
meta

1 edit

meta

If there is any company generating more than a million dollars a year in revenue actually running RIP, they need to spend some of that money and hire a network professional to remove the offending infrastructure. Nobody should be running RIP anymore.
cooldude9919

cooldude9919

said by meta:

If there is any company generating more than a million dollars a year in revenue actually running RIP, they need to spend some of that money and hire a network professional to remove the offending infrastructure. Nobody should be running RIP anymore.
I guess i thought it was rip due to some of these commands in an ambit,

rip auth-mode enable
rip interval 30
rip silence-mode disable
rip key 1 key-string ********
rip filtered-list del ethernet 1
rip filtered-list del ethernet 2
rip filtered-list del ethernet 3
aryoba
MVM

aryoba to meta

MVM

to meta
said by meta:

If there is any company generating more than a million dollars a year in revenue actually running RIP,
Actually, yes there are many of them
said by meta:

they need to spend some of that money and hire a network professional to remove the offending infrastructure. Nobody should be running RIP anymore.
On the contrary, those companies pay a lot of money to have such RIP network. In some environments, running RIP as global standard is brilliant idea.

But I don't want to elaborate further since the RIP discussion is not what this thread is about. I don't want to derail the train of thoughts or hijack the OP.

Anyone who likes to have the RIP discussion, feel free to open up a new thread and I will chime in
aryoba

aryoba to jlramirez

MVM

to jlramirez
said by jlramirez:

What is the best way around a cable provider that uses "sticky" IPs based on MAC addresses when you are supposed to have a block of 5 IPs? I'm used to the traditional blocks given from providers however Mediacom does things a bit differently.

I'm told only 1 IP per MAC and am trying to figure out a way around it on a ASA 5505 device. Any ideas?

TIA
Are you required to have 5 different modem as well?
elnino
join:2006-08-27
Akron, OH

elnino to jlramirez

to jlramirez
If you want to use multiple external IPs on your ASA, I think the best way is to statically NAT those to individual IPs on your network. Normally an ASA will proxy-arp for static NAT assignments

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

But the MAC address will be the same for all of them, and that is the problem the OP has in this situation. There must be one unique MAC for each IP address for it to work.
TomS_

TomS_ to meta

MVM

to meta
said by meta:

Nobody should be running RIP anymore.
I wouldnt go so far as to say that no one should be using it, but there are certainly nicer protocols that could be used instead.
TomS_

TomS_ to cooldude9919

MVM

to cooldude9919
said by cooldude9919:

You would consider a HFC cable network running a bridged network to be better than a routed one? Or are you just saying rip in general? I thought thats what most routed cable modem networks used.
[/BQUOTE

Im not familiar with HFC networks, but just RIP in general. Refer to my post above.

jlramirez
Premium Member
Sugar Grove, IL

jlramirez to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
said by aryoba:
said by jlramirez:

TIA
No, they say to put a switch in connected to their modem and get 5 different firewalls or to otherwise connect the servers directly to the internet. Amazing, I feel like I've jumped back more than a decade....
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by jlramirez:

said by aryoba:
said by jlramirez:

TIA
No, they say to put a switch in connected to their modem and get 5 different firewalls or to otherwise connect the servers directly to the internet.
For testing purposes, you definitely can try this kind of setup. However I'm not sure if the setup will work or be reliable.
said by jlramirez:

I feel like I've jumped back more than a decade....
I agree