All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Customers need accurate tools to determine usage.

This is not going to happen soon. Customers need regulation that requires an ISP that ration data throughput via CAPS to provide an accurate tool to determine usage. The tool should be in the form of a web page that allows customers to accurately see the amount of data throughput and the number of days left in the measurement cycle, at any time during the measurement period. Customers accessing the web page should not be charged for usage to access the web page. The web page should be made the customers home page so they could see if they were reaching their limit whenever they launch their browser.

The other important issue is to exempt security related downloads from being charged against the customers CAP. What incentive do consumers have to maintain the security of their systems when doing so limits the desired use of their allocation. The customers of wireless carriers with very low CAPS are particularly susceptible to using up their allocation through routine maintenance of their system.

It would be simple to implement the exemption. The IP Addresses of security update websites would be registered as security related exempt. The ISP's would be required to add filters that would prevent data downloaded from those websites from being added to the customers usage. The filters should also prevent customers from being charged for connection overhead related to their connection such as cable modem polling.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?
There is high competition in the DC area, FIOS doesn't have any caps, but Comcast still does.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Comcast has caps regardless of market. I'm counting myself fortunate about this, since Qwest is so darned slow around here yet I still get DOCSIS 3.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
And I bet Comcast doesn't fair well in the DC area =)
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I don't want to pay for advertisements either. All those little graphics in a web page. I don't want to pay for pings, DOS, etc... If they're going to play that game, I'm not paying for any of these either. Nor will I pay for SPAM...
Screw that!
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to jc10098

to jc10098
I have Comcast in DC because it's better than Verizon DSL. Actually, the data part is great. The TV picture quality sucks, the channel lineup sucks. The HD DVR is sweet.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

3 edits

aaronwt to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?
DC area includes northern VA and part of MARYland. Several million people. The Distict of Columbia itself only has several hundreds of thousands of people. The majority of people that live in the DC area live in Virginia and MARYland.
And both of those areas have a high penetration of the FIOS footprint.
dl_us
join:2009-02-28
Phoenix, AZ

dl_us to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
Yeah, they have that... you can check your bandwidth usage at »myaccount.cableone.net
dl_us

dl_us to jc10098

to jc10098
Areas of high competition have more customers, which equals more capital. If an ISP deals mainly with RURAL customers, they may not have enough capital available yet. Also, our president passed a bill to help fund upgrading the infrastructure of all the ISPs in America... cuz they all suck one way or another.
dl_us

dl_us to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
Firefox + adblock = problem fixed.