spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Customers need accurate tools to determine usage.

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by jc100:

Or.....

ISPS can just not cap people because the cost of bandwidth and the technology to provide it is going WAY DOWN....

Notice caps don't exist in areas of high competition?
There is high competition in the DC area, FIOS doesn't have any caps, but Comcast still does.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Comcast has caps regardless of market. I'm counting myself fortunate about this, since Qwest is so darned slow around here yet I still get DOCSIS 3.

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to aaronwt

And I bet Comcast doesn't fair well in the DC area =)

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to aaronwt

Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to jc100

I have Comcast in DC because it's better than Verizon DSL. Actually, the data part is great. The TV picture quality sucks, the channel lineup sucks. The HD DVR is sweet.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

3 edits
reply to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

Yet DC doesn't have Fios... Maybe that's one reason why there are caps there?
DC area includes northern VA and part of MARYland. Several million people. The Distict of Columbia itself only has several hundreds of thousands of people. The majority of people that live in the DC area live in Virginia and MARYland.
And both of those areas have a high penetration of the FIOS footprint.

dl_us

join:2009-02-28
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jc100

Areas of high competition have more customers, which equals more capital. If an ISP deals mainly with RURAL customers, they may not have enough capital available yet. Also, our president passed a bill to help fund upgrading the infrastructure of all the ISPs in America... cuz they all suck one way or another.