spc
Search similar:

uniqs
siscothekid
join:2009-08-28
Lynwood, CA

siscothekid

So how do you play?

So my friend, asked me if i used my mouse to move around, and i answered him yes, he said i should stop and use the number pad and set up my hot keys with letters instead of numbers, so i gave it a shot and for the life of me i cant get away from the damn mouse, and i have notice it puts me on a serious disadvantage when I'm doing heroics on bosses that need to be kited because i have some hot keys that are ALT 9 and i cant reach it with one hand . So I'm just wondering if moust people use the numpad to move around or are like me and use a mouse.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Your friend is bad.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to siscothekid

Premium Member

to siscothekid
Well, as a prot warrior, I use W to move forward, S to move backward and Q/E to strafe. I use my mouse to turn.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I do the exact same. I use AD for turning only if the mouse is occupied doing something else.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

I thought about setting up a castsequence macro and mapping it to "A" for tanking. I use to be a key smasher and then I went to clicking. I should have just stayed key smasher lol.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
right click and A or D. then you can bind something important to Q and E.

xcal784
join:2009-02-27
Coolville, OH

xcal784 to siscothekid

to siscothekid
I do the same as arch and tirael. I'm not sure if it's standard or I changed it but does the middle aka scroll wheel on your mouse do a 180 rotation for you guys? I use that a lot for nova's and stuff. I have camera pointed the way I want to run while facing the boss then when they start AoE I hit mouse wheel and W to get out.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

That's a change. By default, the mouse wheel zooms in and out. I thought about making a very complex set of macros for tanking. For example:

/cast sequence reset=target Shield Slam, Devastate, Devastate, Thunderclap, Shield Slam, Devastate

I wonder if there is a way to make a conditional or something in there so that Heroic Strike will queue up each time I use the macro and at the same time, use revenge if it is up. The only problem with this macro is that S&B procs might not always be used. Any thought/suggestions?

xcal784
Coolville, OH

1 edit

xcal784 to siscothekid

to siscothekid
My wheel does the zoom in/out when turned but 180 when clicked.

FYI - Macro to queue up and ability is /cast !xxxxx I use that for Maul. I think the ! means to queue it if it's not already queued else do nothing but again I could be wrong here. I just know I copied it and that's how it seems to work.
siscothekid
Lynwood, CA

siscothekid

I have my hot keys set up from 1-= and then ALT 1-=
which is not very comfortable when i have to hit alt9 because i have to let go of the mouse and if the boss moves I'm not hitting it I've tried using letters instead of alt plus w/e number but i cant for the life of me get used to it so i keep going back..

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
This is asking too much to be done with a macro IMO. You're then working around limitations in a macro rather than using keybindings successfully.

xcal784
Coolville, OH

3 edits

xcal784 to siscothekid

to siscothekid
Maybe something like:
/cast sequence reset=target Shield Slam, Devastate, Devastate, Thunderclap, Shield Slam, Devastate
/cast !Heroic Strike

I know there's a way to use something if it's off cooldown but I've never done it before.

EDIT:

Maybe -
/cast !Heroic Strike
/cast Revenge
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

You'd just spam that macro and it would queue up heroic strike then try to use revenge then go to the cast sequence. If revenge isn't up you'd get an error but the next line would clear that. I'm unsure how the cast sequence will work you might need 2 macro's for that.

Macro 1:
/cast !Heroic Strike
/cast Revenge
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Macro 2:
/cast !Heroic Strike

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl to siscothekid

Premium Member

to siscothekid
Nostromo N52. D-pad for forward, back, and left/right. I can strafe with a second button + left/right on the d-pad.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to xcal784

Premium Member

to xcal784
The ! identifier toggles abilities on/off or uses them if they aren't already in use. I.E. /cast Heroic Strike attempts to use Heroic Strike, even if it is already in use. In reference to Revenge, is there a way to make it so the macro will use the ability if it is proc'd, i.e. Revenge is only useable after you dodge/parry/block an attack.
Tirael

Tirael to Zyncotl

Premium Member

to Zyncotl
I had one of the belkin deals. I was it was just too much for my taste, but one feature I did like was the thumb stick. It took some getting use to, but it made movement 100x easier. Then I just mapped all the movement keys to abilities.

xcal784
Coolville, OH

xcal784 to Tirael

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

The ! identifier toggles abilities on/off or uses them if they aren't already in use. I.E. /cast Heroic Strike attempts to use Heroic Strike, even if it is already in use. In reference to Revenge, is there a way to make it so the macro will use the ability if it is proc'd, i.e. Revenge is only useable after you dodge/parry/block an attack.
Far as I know you can't set macro's based on proc's or cooldowns.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

This is correct.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to xcal784

Premium Member

to xcal784
Meh. It was just a fleeting thought. I just remembered something I once read. It said something to the tone of making macros that would use an ability available on procs is too much like automation, which is against the EULA and TOS. I have played clicker so long that it doesnt really matter. I just kept the keys I move with the same. I like the knee jerk reaction time it takes to Click SS, then Devastate x2, Revenge, Concusion Blow, Revenge, Thunderclap, Heroic Strike Spam and repeat, then still do decent amounts of threat.
siscothekid
Lynwood, CA

siscothekid

i was looking at getting one of this, »www.bestbuy.com/site/ols ··· 49411816

anyone one have one, and if so how is it?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Keys on the right side of the keyboard? No thanks.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to siscothekid

Premium Member

to siscothekid
Plus it requires you to actually buy the specific type of keyboard it is made for. I think you can get the entire package for $70.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/ols ··· 49410770

There we go. Found it while posting. I have heard these are pretty nice, however, I wouldn't spend $70 on one.

xcal784
Coolville, OH

xcal784 to siscothekid

to siscothekid
Here's an old thread with dozens of things to help you play WoW.

»WoW with a controller?

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

I had one of the belkin deals. I was it was just too much for my taste, but one feature I did like was the thumb stick. It took some getting use to, but it made movement 100x easier. Then I just mapped all the movement keys to abilities.
I got mine for Christmas a few years back and tried to use it and it was awful. I couldn't stand it. I was really disappointed after being excited that my wife got it for me. I didn't use it for a month or so and thought I'd give it another go. After 3-4 days I was about on par with my kb/mouse skills. By 2 weeks later I couldn't play with a kb as my controller.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time to siscothekid

Premium Member

to siscothekid
I use A and D to turn when I'm lazy.

Not during anything important though, like raids or arenas.
Tehuno
join:2005-01-18
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno

move with mouse + strafe with Q/E, this way i always face my target, so i can cast on the move.
dont really use that many macros in general playing, but i have a special macro for nearly every fight, aka targeting trees/roots on freya. focus interrupt macro for the lock on faction champions, etc.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

1 edit

Tweakbl to siscothekid

to siscothekid
I use...q,w,e,f....seriously.q=back,w=strafe left,e=forward,f=strafe right.This is my version of w,a,s,d.
The reason I use it this way is my hands are bigger then average men's.
I use these keys in ALL games I play,MMORPG's and FPS's.
I have g=shoot or throw,h=quick ability[like a DK's DND].
I use the mouse to turn and target and also r=target nearest enemie and t=attack nearest enemy.

As far as Macro's
My Tanking Macro's consist of...
"Bang"
/cast Shield Slam
/cast Shield Bash
/cast Spell Reflection

"Heroic sunder"
/cast heroic strike
/cast devastate

"Zippy"
/cast Bloodrage
/cast Charge
/cast Intercept
/cast Intervene

To get these to activate at times you must push the button they are bound to more then once to get them to go off.

Also forgot to mention I use a Logitec Marble Mouse [Track Ball],not the funky one with the ball on the side,I use the one that looks like a manta ray/tear drop.

Helius
join:2009-03-02
Denver, CO

1 edit

Helius to siscothekid

to siscothekid
I thought about getting this »www.logitech.com/index.c ··· cl=us,en

GTJiga
06 GT
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Azle, TX

GTJiga to siscothekid

Premium Member

to siscothekid
I'll try to remember my key settings, been a long time since I played.

W - Forward
S - Backwards
A - Strafe left
D - Strafe right

All keys listed below where for spells/skills/etc
Q, E, R, T, Y, F, G, H, Z, X, C, V, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Then a SHIFT+All keys listed above
Then a CTRL+All keys listed above
Mouse button 3 and 4 plus SHIT/CTRL M3/4
Mouse scroll up/down plus SHIFT/CTRL scroll up/down

About the only thing I ever clicked on my bars was my professions.

If I wanted to turn my character I would use right click plus mouse direction.

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
join:2008-11-21
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl to siscothekid

to siscothekid
so, for shits, when i get bored during raids sometimes, i pop this beauty out and crank out spells

thats how i play

oh, and i still do right click + A and D and W

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to siscothekid

to siscothekid
Guess I'm one of the only ones to use the arrow keys to move forward and back, and turn left or right. I strafe by holding right mouse button and click my spells/abilities on the bars.