Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jlivingood

Re: Hmmm

said by jlivingood:

That's definitely something we are hoping to learn about in the tech trial. It's a tough problem to solve.
Add a nice pamphlet inside their monthly bills telling them of this new service. So customers know before hand, as alot of people do read their bills and the flyers they stuff inside them.

but good luck on it, not a bad idea at all.
--
The more you talk, the less you listen.

screavic4
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Paron, AR
kudos:1
I too like it, it's one way to save bandwidth too. I also like that Comcast offers antivirus to their customers.
--
Keyboard not found press F1 to continue.
My software never has bugs, they just develop random "features".

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
reply to pizz
said by pizz:

said by jlivingood:

That's definitely something we are hoping to learn about in the tech trial. It's a tough problem to solve.
Add a nice pamphlet inside their monthly bills telling them of this new service. So customers know before hand, as alot of people do read their bills and the flyers they stuff inside them.

but good luck on it, not a bad idea at all.
I don't know if we're planning to do that or not. But we are sending emails to customers in the trial area, for what that's worth.
--
JL
Comcast

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to pizz
that's a well intended idea, but people aren't necessarily going to *read it*.

Anything other than a bill in an envelope with a bill usually goes -> trash.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by dfxmatt:

that's a well intended idea, but people aren't necessarily going to *read it*.

Anything other than a bill in an envelope with a bill usually goes -> trash.
Well, who's fault that then? Send it with their bill and they throw it away. Send it in an email and it gets flagged as spam or just ignored. Post it on a portal website and they never visit it. Doing all three might reach a significantly larger audience, but I wouldn't count on it.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
All my bills are electronic. I look at the amount of the bill and charges. I ignore the rest. Call me if you want to give me information like that. A bill is a bill is more like a due bill. We are spammed by too much crap these days, so maybe they should make a commercial or something? LOL

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
reply to dfxmatt
How about a "botnet surcharge?" That'll get people to read the bill! Say an extra $15/mo for every month they're infected, with 1 month refunded when they clean the machine. This way it will get people's attention and give them an incentive to clean their machine.

Another way around the walled-garden dilemma is to only wall off port 80 - this allows VoIP, gaming, SSL sites, etc to work correctly but the moment they use the web browser they get stuck. There should be a way to release it though, say by filling out a form. This way it's a bit more substantial that a virus-looking pop-up, but can still be bypassed once the user acknowledges the problem.

/mackey

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jlivingood
In browser popups and emails are not trusted anymore.

Either a letter in the mail or cheaper, an automated phone call suggesting they call tech support. If there is still activity for a said amount of time and no response, kill the port at the switch.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.
This is a sub-selection from Hmmm