Well done is better than well said
Premium Member
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild to NSM998

Premium Member

to NSM998

Re: This will really work...

I suppose this can be used as another way to inject ads as well...another way to skirt the system uh?

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by FreedomBuild:

I suppose this can be used as another way to inject ads as well...another way to skirt the system uh?
Well, it can, and that's a huge problem if it happens. What Comcast is doing doesn't trigger this problem (the page that Comcast refers people to isn't marketing anything that Comcast folks don't already get for free as part of their subscription). Rogers, on the other hand, experimented with this kind of system to sell people more bandwidth. That's a problem.

The ISP isn't paid to get in the way of desired communication. However, if you're infected, the ISP ought to shut you off. Comcast has figured out a way to avoid that shut off, and customers should find that as less objectionable. As long as it is not abused, like you point out.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

1 recommendation

Uncle Paul

Yes, this basically is a man-in-the-middle attack injecting code on top of your existing traffic. If I were to do this to someone, would there be an understanding officer at my door?

I agree that botnets need to be handled and applaud Comcast for trying to do it. But perhaps a phone call might work better, after all you know their call center's going to be flooded anyway.

FreedomBuild
Well done is better than well said
Premium Member
join:2004-10-08
Rockford, IL

FreedomBuild

Premium Member

Or simply just cut the service period for the offending computer..this is corporates way to dumb down the consumer and introduce their own form of nebuad/phorm system and get a green light to do it.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

and then that brings in to paying per machine.