uniqs
share rss forum feed
This is a sub-selection from Hmmm

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to pizz

Re: Hmmm

that's a well intended idea, but people aren't necessarily going to *read it*.

Anything other than a bill in an envelope with a bill usually goes -> trash.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by dfxmatt:

that's a well intended idea, but people aren't necessarily going to *read it*.

Anything other than a bill in an envelope with a bill usually goes -> trash.
Well, who's fault that then? Send it with their bill and they throw it away. Send it in an email and it gets flagged as spam or just ignored. Post it on a portal website and they never visit it. Doing all three might reach a significantly larger audience, but I wouldn't count on it.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
All my bills are electronic. I look at the amount of the bill and charges. I ignore the rest. Call me if you want to give me information like that. A bill is a bill is more like a due bill. We are spammed by too much crap these days, so maybe they should make a commercial or something? LOL

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:14
reply to dfxmatt
How about a "botnet surcharge?" That'll get people to read the bill! Say an extra $15/mo for every month they're infected, with 1 month refunded when they clean the machine. This way it will get people's attention and give them an incentive to clean their machine.

Another way around the walled-garden dilemma is to only wall off port 80 - this allows VoIP, gaming, SSL sites, etc to work correctly but the moment they use the web browser they get stuck. There should be a way to release it though, say by filling out a form. This way it's a bit more substantial that a virus-looking pop-up, but can still be bypassed once the user acknowledges the problem.

/mackey
This is a sub-selection from Hmmm