uniqs

tmh
@qwest.net

tmh to zalternate

Anon

to zalternate

Re: Phone?

said by zalternate:

Whatever happened to when the ISP detected your machine as being a virus infested plague on their network and just shut you down.Then the ISP uses something called a 'Phone' and tells the customer why they won't have Internet for a while. But the customer may get their connection for a d
Because the "Phone" is VOIP-based and went away right after you shut their connection down.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Because the "Phone" is VOIP-based and went away right after you shut their connection down.

++++

Not sure how Comcast does it but around here TWC uses another VLAN for the VoIP phone. I would think its quite difficult to infect their Arris modem box so I can understand a 128Kb port with no filters on it for phone.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to tmh

Premium Member

to tmh
said by tmh :
said by zalternate:

Whatever happened to when the ISP detected your machine as being a virus infested plague on their network and just shut you down.Then the ISP uses something called a 'Phone' and tells the customer why they won't have Internet for a while. But the customer may get their connection for a d
Which is why we are not testing a walled garden that would do just that.

tmh
@qwest.net

tmh to Eagles1221

Anon

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

++++

Not sure how Comcast does it but around here TWC uses another VLAN for the VoIP phone. I would think its quite difficult to infect their Arris modem box so I can understand a 128Kb port with no filters on it for phone.
True if the cable provider was also supplying your phone service. For 3rd party SIP-based VOIP, it goes out over IP just like the rest of your data.

If the connection gets cut and grandma croaks because her cardiac monitor couldn't phone home, there'd be a lawsuit in short order.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Disable/wall garden only port 80. Another idea is have a X hour timer for reenabling internet access to get tools, after a couple a couple times the reenable link is clicked (stop abuse by lazy), block the user until they call tech support.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221
People use 3rd party Voip that isn't on that VLAN. They would be SOL.