uniqs
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Landlord wants rent payment in cash. Is this normal?

My wife and I are renting an apartment and our landlord says he requires payment in cash, not cheque. He says he's happy to write me a receipt. Every other place I've lived they've accepted cheques. Is this common? Is there anything I need to be aware of?
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Normal for someone who does not want to get caught not paying income tax on income. If you have a receipt I'd not worry about it... other then the hassle of getting the cash.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
I agree he is probably trying to hide money. As long as you have a receipt you should be good to go until he goes to jail.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

mocycler to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
His request is unusual but if that's the way he really wants it and otherwise isn't raising any red flags, just go along with it and give him the cash.

He might be evading taxes, hiding his income from creditors, or maybe even his wife! Maybe he's just one of those quirky types who has a problem with banks. It's really nobody's business.

Cash is fine, but hang onto the receipts! If he cashed your check, the cancelled check would be the same as a receipt anyway. It's all the same in the end.

mocycler
gregz1
join:2009-10-01

gregz1 to Mango

to Mango
The biggie that everyone left out, is the avoidance of Child Support payments.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

1 edit

The Pig

Premium Member

said by gregz1:

The biggie that everyone left out, is the avoidance of Child Support payments.
The landlord has kids he is not supporting?

It happens all the time, as said above just get a receipt, the landlord should have no problem with that as you don't claim rent on your taxes.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

3 recommendations

shaner to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
It could be as simple as the landlord is tired of bounced cheques.

Make sure the receipts are signed.

Fubar16
join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16 to Mango

to Mango
Just make sure to get receipts...

Who cares why they want Cash only... Not your concern...

If you are worried about it make your own receipts and have the landlord sign them saying they received the cash...

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

2 recommendations

seaquake to Mango

MVM

to Mango
I'm curious as to what the landlord would say if you asked him if he'd accept a cashier's check? That guarantees the money is there when he deposits/cashes the check.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's been screwed by bounced checks in the past.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
That was my first thought too, but how would taking checks make him liable for income tax or child support? Do you think the IRS goes through everyone's bank account activity looking for unexplained cash?

Khaos
-K-OS-
Premium Member
join:2007-03-12
West Palm Beach, FL

Khaos to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
What about Money orders, will he accept those? At least you have 2 receipts when you get a money order..
gregz1
join:2009-10-01

gregz1 to ctggzg

to ctggzg
Yes. Believe or not, if the government (state or Federal) have your info (name, ssn, dob), they can find out who you bank with, and how much is in the account. How do you think that states intercept peoples bank accounts to collect past due, without them knowing until it happens.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

Ray to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
said by seaquake:

I'm curious as to what the landlord would say if you asked him if he'd accept a cashier's check? That guarantees the money is there when he deposits/cashes the check.
Bzzt! Cashier's checks are easily faked. Look online at all the "I'll pay you price+x and you just send me the difference back w/ product" scams.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to ctggzg

to ctggzg
OP is in Canada so IRS would not apply. Canada's equivalent though would. Now I am curious how Canada handles something like this? And how the Provinces do as well?

But then maybe he has been burned by bad checks.

When I had a Business here in the States - some customers had to pay me in Cash, if they wanted my product. They had given me rubber checks in the past. A lot of hassle to make the checks good.

Yet I had so many paper trails - order forms, order pull sheets, order numbers, invoices, I had to report the sale in full.
hortnut

hortnut to Mango

to Mango
I had a Landlord like that a couple years back - got a receipt and had him sign my own receipt. So had two pieces of paper to back up that I had paid.

Plus every month I would try to draw the rent from the bank at the same time of the month and only the amount of the rent.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
Most likely, he's cheating somewhere. Taxes, or on income (think Alimony, Child Support, etc). Maybe he has a legal judgement against him which would garnish said income etc. It appears he's trying to hide the income. Maybe he collects welfare or Government aid and doesn't deserve too.

There's one other possibility. He doesn't have a bank account, and doesn't want to eat the fees and hassle for cashing your checks or Money Orders or etc... but that's somewhat unlikely.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
The landlord @ the place I used to live at (near the end) only took money orders or cash. He got tired of the bounced checks as well. Plus the Bank hits him with a $25 fee per bounced check.

Finally he went with money orders or cash. For an added fee he would accept paypal.com payments back in 2003 (when I moved out).

Not sure if he does now or not.
Babaganooosh
join:2008-03-18
Belmar, NJ

Babaganooosh to Mango

to Mango
I had a landlord that wanted cash. It's because he didn't want to deal with bounced checks.

It was a pain in the ass however it did have a benefit. I didn't have to wait for a landlord to cash my check. I have had landlords take up to fourteen days to cash it.

When I check my balance I like it to be sorta accurate

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
I'm curious if that was stated in the original landlord tenant agreement.
If it was and he changed his mind, and didn't write up another agreement, and you all didn't sign, then he has a problem there.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

It could be as simple as the landlord is tired of bounced cheques.

Make sure the receipts are signed.
^^ What he said. Taking cash as rent is especially common in areas with a lot of student housing.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1 to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
He may be new at the game.
I was like that when I first started renting. DUMB Or on a power trip?
Now you don't get to move in without 12 postdated checks. It makes life easy.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
Does the Canadian postal service sell money orders, and would the landlord accept one? How about Western Union?
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

Is there anything I need to be aware of?
Get the receipts and keep them in a safe place. If you live have any problems, you can use his obvious anti-tax behavior as leverage. Threaten to turn him in to the IRS.

Mark

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

ergibbs

Yeah, that'll work, until he shows you his tax returns and tells you that he just didn't trust checks. If you're going to give advice, make sure it at least makes a little bit of sense and is not based on juvenile irrationality.

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

cacroll to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
Is the landlord the owner, or an onsite manager for the owner?

Keep the receipts. Copy the receipts, and keep the copies in a safe, offsite storage.

If he does a good job keeping the place maintained, and keeps the other tenants in line, I wouldn't have a problem paying in cash. As long as you protect yourself.

bent
and Inga
Premium Member
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO

bent to gregz1

Premium Member

to gregz1
said by gregz1:

Yes. Believe or not, if the government (state or Federal) have your info (name, ssn, dob), they can find out who you bank with, and how much is in the account. How do you think that states intercept peoples bank accounts to collect past due, without them knowing until it happens.
No. There is a process before the State or IRS can levy your bank account or receivables. The states generally have more leeway and are more aggressive than the IRS, but they can't hit your account without notice. You can try to avoid the notice and claim you didn't know, but they are required to give it.

sawman
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
BC KS

sawman to amigo_boy

Premium Member

to amigo_boy
It wouldn't be the IRS, It's the CRA.
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to ergibbs

to ergibbs
said by ergibbs:

Yeah, that'll work, until he shows you his tax returns and tells you that he just didn't trust checks.
Yes, that's a possibility. But, the majority of people I've encountered who prefer/require cash payment do so to avoid the record of income.

I'd definitely play the threat card if I had a problem with the rental.

Mark

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
When a landlord say he wants CASH, thats what he wants.
No checks, No money orders, No credit cards, just CASH!

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to Mango

Premium Member

to Mango
i'm willing to bet that the guy has gotten stiffed over the years with bad checks and just wants to make sure he gets paid. i usually recommend that landlords accept cash and just give a receipt. money orders and bank checks can easily be faked nowadays.