spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SirMeowmix_I

@windstream.net

Armored cable, RG-6 and phone, squirrels!

I have a squirrel issue where my phone and coax aerial drop have been literally chewed in half now at least 6 times. No matter how many of these rats with tails eat 410 the problem continues. Two questions, do they make armored coax and could I use this to feed both my phone and CATV system? Any suggestions for getting rid of these pests? Do they make scented cable that would deter chewing?

I don't think I'd be able to use flex conduit since the drop is about 100ft and weight would be a concern.

I guess I could use some Heliax superflex but that's expensive.

gregz

join:2009-10-01
They actually make shields that the utilities place over the cables to keep the critters from having lunch. Because it is the utilities wiring, I am wondering why the techs have not done something about it.

Zen6

@rr.com
reply to SirMeowmix_I
The little furry tailed rats love to chew on that stuff. Try trap and release to a different area.

K Patterson
Premium,MVM
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH
kudos:1
Trap and release to Squirrel heaven.

How about a piece of the orange conduit they use for some fiber installs? Pull both inside.

gregz

said by K Patterson:

How about a piece of the orange conduit they use for some fiber installs? Pull both inside.
Not the correct way. They have shields made specifically to stop critters from chewing on lines.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
said by gregz:

said by K Patterson:

Not the correct way. They have shields made specifically to stop critters from chewing on lines.
Even if you tried it's not a war your ever likely to win.

gregz

That is correct. That is why dogs & Air softs are fun.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to SirMeowmix_I
considering the aerial drop is NOT YOURS, the only real option you have is to keep calling and complaining until they protect them. it is illegal for you to do any work on teh telco or cable co side of the connection and this means the aerial. if you put anythign on the lines to shield them, they will just remove it if they see it.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to SirMeowmix_I
There is no practical product on the market to protect telephone and CATV lines from squirrels. Squirrels will chew through plastic, lead, steel, and aluminum. I've seen squirrels chew through "squirrel proof" cable which was a plastic sheath, steel turnplate, plastic sheath, steel turnplate, mylar, aluminum turnplate, mylar, then cable bundles. Right - through - it!. Less than 1 year after being placed.

Coax doesn't stand a chance. Hardline is either a mild alloy or aluminum. Sometimes it has a plastic sheath.

Both phone and cable drops are more susceptible than the cables.

For abatement, extermination is the most effective. Be humane. Use pointed pellets, not BB's. A .22 rifle is perfect, if neighbors aren't an issue. Don't shoot the cables.

Limiting food supply helps. You can clean up under fruit / nut trees. No bird feeders. Keeps lids on trash tight. Don;t leave pet food out.

Eliminate the desire or ease of using the cables as a "highway". Trim back foliage in your easement surrounding the poles and anywhere near your house. The only reason they run down the wires is they find it an easy way to get somewhere. See where they're going and eliminate the desire to be there or ease of access.

You could have the service buried, although it may only help a little. It still has to run up the pole to the terminal / tap. They chew on it there too.

If you do invent something feasible to stop them, you'll be very, very, very rich. Every electric, phone, and cable company will be calling.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.

ghnv56

@mc.videotron.ca

1 recommendation

They don't like dielectric grease get dielectric grease and a brush and put it all over the place. Not only they won't chew it but they will also have problems walking on the wire. The grease will stay there forever since it is waterproof. The only downside will be the techs yelling when they do work on the lines haha!

SirMeowmix_I

@windstream.net
reply to SirMeowmix_I
Thanks all for the replies, good suggestions there, especially coating it with di-electric grease.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to SirMeowmix_I
Hot pepper is also a good deterrent.

My friend had an issue with squirrels getting into his car and eating wires. After about the 4 th time we got fed up and sprayed mace over the area. Little guy wasn't hungry anymore....

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
said by fcisler:

Hot pepper is also a good deterrent.
I was gonna suggest that too but would be impractical outside. You'd probably have to reapply it quite often.

Maybe the dielectric grease idea with some cayenne pepper mixed in.

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
reply to SirMeowmix_I
I had an issue with squirrels once:

Re: Funniest/Dumbest User Comments

I receive a phone call from one of our customers who says, "I can't get on the internet?". I go into SNMP and the NMS we use, and I can see that the radio(wireless to ethernet converter) does not respond to a ping etc. I fire up the service truck and drive to the customers house, and when I get there, the customer and all of his neighbors are outside with brooms. I ask them what they are doing, and they reply"Chasing squirrels". I pay no mind and climb up on the roof to see what the deal is. I see that the shielded CAT5 cable was chewed through completely, obviously by a small critter. As it turns out, there is a freakin' gaggle of squirrels living in the customers attic. The customer then decides that it is my responsibility to repair the cable AND remove the squirrels so that it doesn't happen again. As I am replacing the CAT5, one of the squirrels becomes aggressive, and decides that I am a little to close to it's home and starts to chatter and hiss at me while running back and forth on the ridge of the roof. At this point, one of the neighbors must have felt that this "killer squirrel" was going to do some serious harm to me, and he starts shooting at it with a pellet gun!, well needless to say, I got off the roof and in my truck and left, while I was still alive to do so!. I came back on Monday morning only to find that the squirrels chewed through the new cable too. I got really PO'ed and got some rat poison and mixed it with peanut butter. It did the job, and all of the squirrels were now in squirrel heaven. I repaired the CAT5 and all was good, until about a week later my truck started to stink with this un-godly smell?. As it turned out, while I was on the roof, the customer took all the dead squirrels and threw them on my truck "under" the big toolbox. When I called him up, his comment was, "Well what did You expect me to do with them?, they were Your problem, NOT MINE!"
--

»Re: Funniest/Dumbest User Comments

I decided to cut and paste the entire post, as some users don't have access to the forum it was originally posted in?.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

nevtxjustin

join:2006-04-18
Dallas, TX

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to SirMeowmix_I
N/M I read it was an aerial drop..

Could always wrap the wire with a smaller outer wire, and run an electric fence transformer through it... though I think that might cause noise on the line.

I think the only tree rat proof way is to go underground, and then when it comes up the side of the house, go into regular steel conduit. Then you could always fill the conduit with a mixture of cable pull grease and cayenne pepper....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by neonhomer:

N/M I read it was an aerial drop..

Could always wrap the wire with a smaller outer wire, and run an electric fence transformer through it... though I think that might cause noise on the line.

I think the only tree rat proof way is to go underground, and then when it comes up the side of the house, go into regular steel conduit. Then you could always fill the conduit with a mixture of cable pull grease and cayenne pepper....
bugs might eat it then

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to SirMeowmix_I
We used to have problems with rats chewing off the insulation on the wiring in our trucks every winter. Apparently, when rodents get hungry, there is nothing more delicious. Either that or they are using bits to make their nests with. Apparently, if is where the wires penetrate the house, the rodents will also chew the wiring trying to get in, as it is easier than chewing the surrounding (wall) materials. The same thing happens in electrical switchgear houses if not protected from vermin the rats come in, chew the wires, and cause fires and outages.

We found a spray that can be used to coat the wiring for this very purpose. The rats never chewed the wiring again. There are many rodent repellent sprays made, but you need something that is really strong and made for exterminators. I can't remember the name or where we got it.

I've also heard that Kryon spray paint applied in heavy doses works.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

If you do invent something feasible to stop them, you'll be very, very, very rich. Every electric, phone, and cable company will be calling.
Put rat poison under the sheath. Squirrels are just rats with furry tails. They chew the wire, gets into their mount, dead squirrel 48 hours later. But the PETA folks will start saying rats squirrels are a protected species.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to SirMeowmix_I
Coat the cables with loads of Grease they will slide off the cables and in time give up and head over to your neighbors house.
--
»www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to SirMeowmix_I
Make it fun...for less than $100

»gizmodo.com/221826/sniper-bb-gun···t-a-time