uniqs
share rss forum feed

braynes
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Waterville, ME

[connectivity] Install

Hello
I recently moved and needed my service changed to a new address. I have gwi and not fairpoint but fairpoint had to come,OK
no big thing, they said 10-14 days came in 9 happy about that,now my question.
the installer came looked at the nid and then cut the three lines leaving the nid, flush with the bottom of the nid and then flus where they entered the foundation of the house, the cellar is finished and has a ceder walls and ceiling making it impossible to run new without removing the ceiling, I have temp. run a jk up the house and have called a carpenter to come and remove the wood.
My question as I unserstand it the wire from the nid to phones etc. is mine and I am responsibility for station wire, why would they cut my wire? If a station wire was shorted is that not the point of the nid? Is this standed for fairpoint?

thanks for any opinion on this pritice.

Bruce

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Not sure I understand the issue.

What is a jk?

Are you sure cable leaving house through basement is inside wire? Could it be an unused drop cable? in that case it is the responsibility of the phone company?

/tom

braynes
Premium
Waterville, ME
Hi sorry about the confusion JK is the old phone company name for 2 pair insude wire, sorry I called it that for over 30 years.(hard to break old habits)

As to the drops no they all went to jacks, I ran a new one and added a cordless phone so problem solved, I just wondered why anyone would cut you inside wire liveing the NID,and wanted to know if this Is standed now for fp.
Bruce

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH
reply to braynes
I work for a CLEC in NH so i cant say for sure, but i think they do it for liability. If they connect a new loop and something inside is connected (VoIP ATA) its a posibility that something will break. I think it is just to cover their own asses. But if he cut them that just sucks he should have only removed the pair going into the home...

braynes
Premium
Waterville, ME
Thanks for the reply,he cut them flush where they enter the cellar,at least the hole was there.
bruce