Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

How safe is Getfullspeed?

»getfullspeed.com/

I was told about this and wondered how safe and good it was, I was told it was safe and it made their Internet faster, but I want your in takes on it.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Don't fall for the hype. Those kinda things always make things worse. If the pc is running like complete trash. Chances are you have some virus/malware on it.
The Snowman
Premium Member
join:2007-05-20

The Snowman to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown

You can't sip a Cow through a strew.......just that simple an answer.
Your ISP sets certain limits to your connection.......an yes you can tweak your computer to enhance how it will use that connection.......you can improve your computer's ability.....but you wont and can't change what your ISP has given you.
An no I am not talking "over-clocking" the computer.....just a few very easy, simple tweaks that will have good results........an yes definitely the tweaks do work.

This is a security forum so I wont go near the subject of tweaks to enhance connections.

Nimbus
Premium Member
join:2008-11-27
Moreno Valley, CA

Nimbus to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
Looking at the Full Speed web site it appears that the product simply changes settings in Windows and your browser to get the best performance with a high speed connection. Some ISPs offer the same thing free of charge. You could also visit the Tweak Test on the DSLR Tools page and do it yourself.
»/tweaks
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

I was surfing on the Wi-Fi at Mcdonalds, this one guy notice I was using a laptop and he stopped to talk to me and suggested that I try this out, but I don't want to try something out that isn't safe. He did say it made his Internet faster, but not too sure about that, never seen him before, and can't be sure if he's trustworthy or not, he did ask me for my e-mail but I told him that I don't give it out to anyone I haven't met before.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
That appears to only work on DSL connections not cable.

They say:

"Windows XP is now over 7 years old and nowadays the average speed of data on the internet and on networks is far greater than it was even a couple of years ago and so Windows Internet configurations and settings are out of date and it is the users who are taking the hit in the performance of their machines when online. Even Vista works in the same way as XP.

The default Windows settings and configurations means that anyone with any type of Internet connection will not be receiving the Full Speed™, value or performance of their Internet connection especially with broadband."

That is not true for Vista. They are trying to get Vista and Windows 7 users to think that they have "ancient" XP with a too low default RWIN. Vista/Windows 7 does not allow you to change the RWIN manually (well, you can but it is complicated to do). These two OSes do not need the user to change the RWIN manually as they manage it in a dynamic manner and have a better speed usually than XP can get even after much manual experimentation with changing the RWIN. Even on XP, not everyone needs to change the RWIN and you can easily see if you need to (and do so if needed) right at this site as Nimbus points out.

Further, they use the worst type of speed test that is quite inaccurate. Maybe they also allow for FTP download of a large file or at least use a long Java test besides the crappy Flash they show. But only a long FTP test (like OOL's here) would avoid Speed Boost on Comcast and Road Runner skewing the test way too high.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

1. Your Tweakable Settings
Receive Window (RWIN): 63888
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1452
TTL:
(less any hops behind firewall)
TTL remaining: 115
TOS flags: none set

2. Test Download
Actual data bytes sent: 1024001
Actual data packets: 708
Max packet sent (MTU): 1492
Max packet recd (MTU): 1492
Retransmitted packets: 0
sacks you sent: 0
pushed data pkts: 32
data transmit time: 3.889 secs
our max idletime: 382.5 ms
transfer rate: 230118 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 1840 kbits/sec
transfer efficiency: 100%

3. ICMP (ping) check
Minimum ping: 118.29 ms
Maximum ping: 121.33 ms
Ping stability:
118.29 118.56 119.53 120.32 119.53 119.74 119.69 119.66 119.66 121.33
4. Notes and Recommendations Change MTU to 1500 (FAQ #652, #695)
RWIN is in range
download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578)
Read the tweak FAQ

Observations:
Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

Observations:
Looking good

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

2 edits

tempnexus

Premium Member

Well if :
"..it's great. I love it!! The best on the market by far!!! " M.Pearson, TN, USA

said it then it must be true.
Listen to Snowman you can't get more then they provide you.
The phase of uncapping cable modems died in 2001
Set teh RWIN to high and hope for the best.

Oh and btw you now made me crave MikyD's
and which MikyD's offers WiFi? Do you get fries with that?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
Why do you have Windows Scaling OFF? Why is your RWIN so low? Tweak Test will tell you what your RWIN should be based on what your speed is from your ISP. You didn't say what yours is so perhaps a low RWIN and no Windows Scaling is OK for you.

I don't think Tweak Test is accurate for me. I have Vista Ultimate on a virtual machine and XP Pro on the host. Tweak Test tells me that my RWIN is way, way too high on both machines. That is WRONG. Vista sets the RWIN itself and it set my RWIN at 375040. My manually set RWIN on XP is at 315360 which is a bit lower than how Vista sets it but Tweak Test complains about it also. Tweak Test says my RWIN should be between 48180 and 125560. 125560 is way too low for my connection to be optimal. I tested and tested and optimal is very close to how Vista sets it.

So, if I were you I would turn on Windows Scaling and start experimenting with various RWINS and see which works best for you. If you have anything like Comcast and Road Runner Speed Boost you definitely need Windows Scaling turned on and a very high RWIN.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
said by tempnexus:

Well if :
"..it's great. I love it!! The best on the market by far!!! " M.Pearson, TN, USA

said it then it must be true.
Listen to Snowman you can't get more then they provide you.
The phase of uncapping cable modems died in 2001
Set teh RWIN to high and hope for the best.

Oh and btw you now made me crave MikyD's
and which MikyD's offers WiFi? Do you get fries with that?
All of the Mcdonalds has it, if you have AT&T HSI like I do, it's free.