dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Other interesting facts about FinlandGo Finland! »
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Not a right.
matrix3D
join:2006-09-27
Middletown, CT

matrix3D to WeSRT4

to WeSRT4

Re: Not a right.

Are you kidding me? You're saying in this country we should have to go through the difficult process of selling a home and finding another in an area where broadband is available if we want it? What a crock of $hit.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

2 recommendations

wifi4milez

said by matrix3D:

Are you kidding me? You're saying in this country we should have to go through the difficult process of selling a home and finding another in an area where broadband is available if we want it?
Yes, just as you would need to do the same if you wanted waterfront property, better schools, more convenient transportation options, proximity to grocery stores, sports stadiums, and the millions of other things people move for.......

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

1 recommendation

fifty nine

said by wifi4milez:

said by matrix3D:

Are you kidding me? You're saying in this country we should have to go through the difficult process of selling a home and finding another in an area where broadband is available if we want it?
Yes, just as you would need to do the same if you wanted waterfront property, better schools, more convenient transportation options, proximity to grocery stores, sports stadiums, and the millions of other things people move for.......
Or electricity...

Oh wait.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to wifi4milez

Premium Member

to wifi4milez
And then have your kids bussed to make some school somewhere more integrated......
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
Yes, just like you have to worry about having running water or electricity...

Oh wait, you DON'T generally have to worry about those things when buying a home. Hmmmmmmmmm.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by jjeffeory:

Oh wait, you DON'T generally have to worry about those things when buying a home. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Electricity and water are both utilities, broadband isnt. You have no more right to demand broadband be available (at a new house) than you have a right to demand a free Rolls Royce be in the driveway.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Well there you go. Broadband should be a utility as well, which is my point.

Maybe in Finland, electricity and water are rights?

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

90% of people in rural areas have wells for their water.
Some do not have electricity, generate it themselves.

If you want broadband, move.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

said by toby:

said by jjeffeory:

90%? I grew up in rural areas.
Most everyone had electricity. Some of them had to pay for their own meter and poles, but the electric company was required to provide it.
*Most* had running water. Yes, some had wells, but they had running water for the most part. That was a looooong time ago, though. I even knew people who had and used outhouses. Guess what? All of them now have electricity, running water, and indoor plumbing.

I'm talking rural, you're talking BFE. There's a difference...

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail to wifi4milez

Premium Member

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

Electricity and water are both utilities, broadband isnt.
AFaIK, Electric and Water are utilities because someone declared them to be so. You need running water to keep a modern home sanitary. I don't think electricity is as much a health issue (medical issues excepting). I can't say why they are equated, except for political expediency.

I imagine that having something exist because you say it does is an tenant of the 'Broadband is a Right' crowd. So using the utility method to entitlement is kind of a dream approach to getting what they want.

They just speak their thought and *poof*!

Reality is altered and Broadband now has the same social value as not being imprisoned without cause.

NV
edit:received notice from dept of redundancy dept.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to toby

Premium Member

to toby
Im a mile away from TWC. I would rather pay them to bring their lines down to serve about 40+ houses rather then moving. They tell me my area is not ready for broadband. Till AT&T allows tethering to my iPhone or that old lady that owns acres of land dies (she gots a living will where when she dies, Developers will start building houses. Till then, she can live there), I will continue using the only reliable connection I got. Got to love that 33.6 kbps dial up.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

90%? I grew up in rural areas.

*Most* had running water. Yes, some had wells, but they had running water for the most part. That was a looooong time ago, though. I even knew people who had and used outhouses. Guess what? All of them now have electricity, running water, and indoor plumbing.
My rural area didn't get city water until about 1990. This was in Fairfax County, which is right next to Washington DC. It wasn't exactly in the middle of nowhere. We had some folks without electricity and quite a few more with outhouses, including my best friend.

Anyway...

NV

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

Then you are entitled to move to a country (such as Finland) that regulates it as such if you feel so inclined.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

said by jjeffeory:

Electricity and water are both utilities, broadband isnt. You have no more right to demand broadband be available (at a new house) than you have a right to demand a free Rolls Royce be in the driveway.
Cable is a utility, so is telephone. At least that's how it's defined in my state. Why? They are regulated by the public utilities commission.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to wifi4milez

Premium Member

to wifi4milez
Is that where Big Russ went?
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

said by jjeffeory:

Then you are entitled to move to a country (such as Finland) that regulates it as such if you feel so inclined.
Believe me, I'm seriously thinking about it. 8-)
Nah, I'll just what until it becomes one. Who are you to tell me where to go? 8-)
jjeffeory

1 recommendation

jjeffeory to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
I have a right to demand whatever I want. It doesn't mean I'm going to get it, but if I have friends in the right places, I can get it done.

Frankly, just because broadband isn't classified as a utility yet doesn't mean that people shouldn't push for it to be classified as one. It's useful and very, very necessary in this day and age. Eventually, it will be considered one. Why the big push to make it NOT what it so obviously is? Are you an ISP? I forget!
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
Progress is great!
You can now get Fios over there. In DC, we still have to wait...

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by jjeffeory:

Progress is great!
You can now get Fios over there. In DC, we still have to wait...
I'll have to take your word on it. I haven't been to Lorton since 1994.

I drove by it once, in 2005. However, I've opted to remember it like it was, and didn't have the will to stop and visit.

NV
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

said by jjeffeory:

You think so narrowly and in the past. We're approaching the end of the first decade of the 21st century so get with the program. Electricity and phone service were once considered "luxuries". Things change. If you think it's a luxury then do without it for a year and come back and tell us how that went but you won't because you NEED the internet. So please stop being hypocritical.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

+1

1 free internets for you.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
I haven't been there too recently, but I know there are tons of cable, fiber, and power lines that have gone up in Fairfax County.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:
said by wifi4milez:
said by jjeffeory:

You think so narrowly and in the past. We're approaching the end of the first decade of the 21st century so get with the program. Electricity and phone service were once considered "luxuries". Things change. If you think it's a luxury then do without it for a year and come back and tell us how that went but you won't because you NEED the internet. So please stop being hypocritical.
I never said broadband access wasnt a necessity for me. However, I would never consider moving somewhere it wasnt offered so its a moot point. I wouldnt move to a place that didnt have a lot of things I need, and everyone has different priorities. On the other hand, nobody can justify demanding broadband be available everywhere either. I like the Adirondacks, however there are places there that dont have cell phone access or broadband. If I CHOOSE to go there its my choice, if I choose to stay in NYC thats also my choice.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

jjeffeory

Well, everywhere doesn't really mean everywhere either... You don't think that there's going to be broadband "everywhere" ( sort of reminds me of unlimited meaning 5GB cap, pretty funny) in Finland do you? I'm sure there would need to be at least *some* population density or some fiber going along a road. I mean, if there's a road, there is at least power and phone lines.

It's really dangerous to speak in terms of absolutes and *rights* in the first place. I'm really not trying to be difficult with you. I simply believe that if you live in even a rural "town" or population center, then you should be able to have electricity, water, phone, and broadband. They are modern necessities. They are utilities. It's more difficult to do out West than somewhere like the East coast.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

said by jjeffeory:

Well, everywhere doesn't really mean everywhere either... You don't think that there's going to be broadband "everywhere" ( sort of reminds me of unlimited meaning 5GB cap, pretty funny) in Finland do you? I'm sure there would need to be at least *some* population density or some fiber going along a road. I mean, if there's a road, there is at least power and phone lines.

It's really dangerous to speak in terms of absolutes and *rights* in the first place. I'm really not trying to be difficult with you. I simply believe that if you live in even a rural "town" or population center, then you should be able to have electricity, water, phone, and broadband. They are modern necessities. They are utilities. It's more difficult to do out West than somewhere like the East coast.
I agree, they are utilities even if you dont think they are. One of the first things people do (at least the more modern people), they call for broadband. If broadband is one of the things you activate when you move into a house, It should be considered a utility. Thats just my opinion.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to toby

to toby
said by toby:

said by jjeffeory:

yes and if all the people in rural areas took your advice you city folk would have a HUGE increase in population and then your taxes would have to go up for all the infrastructure improvements needed to support a increased population. Is that what you wanted? Um no. So before you go off giving stupid advice try thinking it all the way through to the PROPER conclusion.

shimonmor
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

shimonmor to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

I'm talking rural, you're talking BFE. There's a difference...
Around here, if you don't live in city limits then you are on well water. Plus there are lots of people who don't have electricity provided for them; they have their own generators (I have a gen...but just as back-up since we lose power a lot).

You don't have to live in BFE to lack "utilities". Many rural areas are this way and many people want it that way. I have my own well so I don't have to worry about what's dumped into the water at the treatment plants or worry about fluoridation.

Broadband, in my opinion, should not be a utility. If you really want it you can get it. If you really need it, you can get it. Too many people in this country think they have all sorts of rights. They feel the government owes them something. They feel entitled. Oh well.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

jjeffeory

Good points. I'm certainly not for big government, but I believe that if you've got the other utilities, broadband is as useful and necessary as the others in the 21st century.
I see you're near Canada. I'm not surprised about the Well situation. That's still running water ( with sump pump, of course). I had a well on my property in La as well as city water. It's all running water... Electricity is a different matter. That should be available most everywhere. Telephone should also be most common in most places.

Mikey12
@mycingular.net

Mikey12 to wifi4milez

Anon

to wifi4milez
If Finland wants to declare broadband a right that is their right, so what do you care?

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
SouthAmerica

1 edit

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by Mikey12 :

If Finland wants to declare broadband a right that is their right, so what do you care?
He has a right to care. So why are you questioning his right?

NV
« Other interesting facts about FinlandGo Finland! »
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Not a right.