uniqs
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

1 recommendation

gorehound to WeSRT4

to WeSRT4

Re: Not a right.

I say it is a right and so do millions of others.here in the USA we have companies trying to rip us off by their claims of how the internet will die or we will go broke unless we cap your account at some insanely low cap and then overcharge us all.
Countries like Finland will have its citizens living a lot better than us in USA.

you must work for a telecom if you think Finland is wrong.
anderboy
join:2007-07-23
Leander, TX

anderboy

What kind of right is it?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

1 edit

Kommie2 (banned)

said by anderboy:

Its part of the right to pursue happiness

And its the Federal Governments task to promote the general welfare of its citizens as said in the constitution,.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

The founding fathers have the idea. It is a right to Pursue Happiness not a right To happiness nor it is a right to happiness at others expense.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N to Kommie2

to Kommie2
said by Kommie2:

said by anderboy:

Its part of the right to pursue happiness

And its the Federal Governments task to promote the general welfare of its citizens as said in the constitution,.
You should not allude to things you're not familiar with. The general welfare clause is not all-encompassing. Here is what some of the guys who WROTE the constitution had to say about it:

---------
“The Constitution allows only the means which are ‘necessary,’ not those which are merely ‘convenient,’ for effecting the enumerated powers. If such a latitude of construction be allowed to this phrase as to give any non-enumerated power, it will go to every one, for there is not one which ingenuity may not torture into a convenience in some instance or other, to some one of so long a list of enumerated powers. It would swallow up all the delegated powers, and reduce the whole to one power, as before observed" - Thomas Jefferson, 1791
---------
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." - Thomas Jefferson, 1798
---------
"This specification of particulars [the 18 enumerated powers of Article I, Section 8] evidently excludes all pretension to a general legislative authority, because an affirmative grant of special powers would be absurd as well as useless if a general authority was intended." - Alexander Hamilton, Federalist 83
---------
"No legislative act … contrary to the Constitution can be valid. To deny this would be to affirm that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid." - Alexander Hamilton, Federalist 78
---------

It seems that the people who wrote the constitution had something many now lack: Common Sense. I mean, it's only common sense to realize that if the general clause applies to anything, all those enumerated powers are completely useless and shouldn't have even been enumerated, since "general welfare" can pretty much mean anything.
Mce Saint
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

Mce Saint

Premium Member

Not to pick nits and all, but Thomas Jefferson did not author ANY part of the US Constitution. He was in France at the time.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to gorehound

Premium Member

to gorehound
said by gorehound:

I say it is a right and so do millions of others.
If I get millions of people to say that you are a platypus, will you lay eggs?

NV

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

who knows? but i'm game to try to find out.