This is a sub-selection from New AT&T / Cingular Tower
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

to k9snifferxx3

Re: New AT&T / Cingular Tower

I believe that is dependent on the number of T-1's per site, if you will.

A T-1 can handle 24 calls, provided the rest of the channels are not being used for other purposes like data. Then it is a matter of oversubscription. Traffic engineering is used to determine actual loads and predicted loads, so that the carrier can plan sufficiently for upgrades.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of it.

k9snifferxx3
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB

k9snifferxx3

Premium Member

Hi AMD Phreak,

I was aware of the T-1 bandwidth issues... The part I am more curious about is the antenna side of things. How many phones can 1 Antenna deal with.

Regards

Joshb

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

Depends on the assigned channel space for the site and the tech they are using

Splitpair
Premium Member
join:2000-07-29
Cow Towne

Splitpair to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

I believe that is dependent on the number of T-1's per site, if you will.

A T-1 can handle 24 calls, provided the rest of the channels are not being used for other purposes like data. Then it is a matter of oversubscription. Traffic engineering is used to determine actual loads and predicted loads, so that the carrier can plan sufficiently for upgrades.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of it.
Consider yourself corrected.

A T1 actually a DS1 (once it is handed off to the customer) if channelized out at 64K will only transport 24 calls and if it is a primary rate ISDN that number drops to 23 calls as the D channel requires a single 64K channel to handle call setup and teardown.

However in the non-analog PCS and cellular world the DS1’s can carry considerably more calls than a channelized DS1 due to the encoding of the analog voice at the handset before hitting the RF and in turn the subsequent decoding at the MTSO.

This is one of the reasons calls over wireless many times have the quality of two cans connected by a string.

Wayne