All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

choicesmade
@optonline.net

choicesmade to MSeng

Anon

to MSeng

Re: [WIN7] Does Windows 7 have Windows Contacts?

Thank you so much!

I have searched everywhere for the answer, but could not find literally one link that showed it. I did find this: »windowsitpro.com/article ··· a-1.html

Towards the middle of that page, it says Windows 7 will not have Windows Contacts included, but it appears that was wrong.

Thanks again.
choicesmade

choicesmade

Anon

Now I'm really confused. I received this email directly from Microsoft:

"The following services will no longer be available in the Windows 7: Windows Mail, Windows Calendar, Windows Contacts, Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Movie Maker. Similar functionality for e-mail, contacts, calendar, photo and movie making will be available for free from Windows Live, removing the duplication of functionality for our consumers between Windows and Windows Live. These services are available in a single download via Windows Live Essentials at download.live.com. These Windows Live tools will be regularly updated to provide innovative functionality and best-of-breed integration with other Windows Live and popular web services, while harnessing the power of the Windows PC. To learn more about Windows 7 and free Windows Live Essentials, please visit »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ntials."

I cannot use the contacts in Windows Live Mail because from my understanding, the limit of email addresses are 4, and I have a lot of contacts with much more than 4 total email addresses, which is not an issue in Windows Contacts.

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

Click for full size
I don't use Contacts by default (Outlook handles them quite well for me) but for grins last night after I posted I imported from a .csv fle I had created last year. As you can see, Contacts does exist and it will handle well over four entries.

choicesmade
@optonline.net

choicesmade

Anon

Thank you for the reply, it's appreciated.

I may have been confusing, but when I say a four email address limit, I meant that I believe "Windows Live Mail Contacts" has a limit where each individual contact can store up to 4 separate email addresses, for each contact.

With the screen shot you displayed from Windows 7, is that for Windows Live Mail or "Windows Contacts", which was called "Windows Contacts" in Vista. Is it built in to Windows 7 or has to be downloaded seperately?

Thank you so much for all your help!!

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

It is Windows Contacts. For me to definitively say it came with Windows Live (which I'm fairly confident it did not) I would have to uninstall Live which I'm not willing to do on this machine. However, the first screenshot shows what I installed with Windows Live -- no indication that Contacts were part of the package.

Another screenshot -- this is from the Windows 7 Help and Support menu. It would lead me to suggest it is part of the OS.

choicesmade
@optonline.net

choicesmade

Anon

Perfect, thank you so much.

From the second screenshot, where it says "store as many email addresses as you want for a contact, and set one as the preferred address"....That's exactly what I was looking for.

So it appears the answers I received directly from Microsoft were incorrect.

Again, thank you!
choicesmade

choicesmade to MSeng

Anon

to MSeng
MSeng:

Thanks a lot for all your help, it's appreciated!

After reading some more stuff, it appears that "Windows Contacts" may not in fact be included with Windows 7. It seems people even with Microsoft don't know.

In Windows 7, if you type in the word "Contacts" in the start menu search box, does it say "Windows Contacts" under programs?

I really do appreciate your help!!

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 edit

elios

Click for full size
it does also %username%\contacts works too

choicesmade
@optonline.net

choicesmade

Anon

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Do you have Windows Live Mail installed on your Windows 7? I'm not sure if that screenshot is from "Windows Contacts" or contacts in Windows Live Mail.

The issue I'm having is I need a contact program (like Windows Vista Contacts had), where I can store as many email addresses as possible for each individual contact, and then set a preferred email address.

I'm not talking about a limit of how many contacts can fit in the contact manager, but rather how many email addresses can be used for each individual contact. For example, if a company is called "ABC123" and they have 12 email addresses total, I need to add 12 email addresses to the contact, "ABC123". I'm not certain if that's possible with what I'm seeing.

Thank you so much for all your assistance!!

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

no clue i use Thunderbird for email soo no idea i know its there thats about it