share rss forum feed

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Does It Snow in Cincinnati, Ohio ?

Well, i just found out this morning that i'll be attending a one week training event at the GE training facility in Cincinnati, Ohio.

»www.gepower.com/prod_serv/serv/t···ions.htm

It will be held the 3rd week of January 2010, so my "general question" is, do i also need to prepare myself for lots of snow and very cold weather ???

Being from beautiful, warm and sunny Southern California, i'm thinking that i may need to gear up with the heavy clothing for this trip..Heh.

I've never been to Ohio before, so please advise...thanks !

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3kB0DoAQE

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3

sabersaw
Premium
join:2001-08-21
Dayton, OH
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Retired6
Yeah, you can plan on cold weather, possibly very cold weather. Sometimes sub-zero(F)! Snow is another possibility. It's very hit or miss weather in this region. 3 years ago we were sleeping with our windows open in January. But plan for the cold weather at minimum. Waterproof and warm boots would be advised.

Not to scare, just be aware »Re: [Serious] This is what we have so far............ snow snow

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
Last year SW Ohio got LOTS of snow, freezing rain and sleet...

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to Retired6
Thanks, guys !

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Retired6
said by Retired6:

...i may need to gear up with the heavy clothing for this trip.
Can you buy "winter clothes" in S California ? I wouldn't anyway unless you'll be outside a fair amount. If your exposure to the outside is walking from the hotel to your car (or bus) and then from that to the GE facility, there's hardly any need. I never wear a "winter" coat unless I'm playing or working outside and even then, it's not too practical (you can still sweat).

By the way, try and arrange for transportation vs renting a car just in case there's snow or ice. Presuming the training is at the GE facility in Evendale, that's a high-traffic area, by Ohio standards, and having never driven in it wouldn't be something worth trying.

halo5

join:2000-07-20
Dayton, OH

1 edit
reply to Retired6
Do not listen to the people above and heed my warning!

Ohio becomes a frozen tundra in January and outsiders do not fare well. Many are found dead in frozen corn fields, gnawing on stalks in their final hour. Turn back now!

Good office wear here in the winter is a t-shirt, button up shirt, sweater and jacket (not a giant parka). Layers keep you warm outside, and if its too warm inside, take off sweater and you're set. Pants, nothing too thin. Shoes, warm and waterproof.

But yea, January weather around here can go either way. It could be mild, could be a mix of rain/freezing rain, could be a foot of snow...or all 3 in 1 day. Or the worst, clear sunny skies with freezing arctic air ripping through from Canada. A hi of 10f can feel warm on those days.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to Retired6
If it's over 20 degrees, everyone will be wearing t-shirts and shorts.
--
Whats smells like blue?

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH

1 edit
said by Omega:

If it's over 20 degrees, everyone will be wearing t-shirts and shorts.
Very true...

It was 32 degrees last night and we had the furnace off and the windows open...
--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to Retired6
Speaking from the POV of someone that grew up in Southern California, you will be in for some much colder weather than you're used to. I would come as prepared as possible for the worst.

You can buy winter clothes in Southern California. It does snow in Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead, though not a lot.
--
Faerie Blessings,
Stephanie - www.GlitterFaerie.net

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to Retired6
yes it does snow alot in OooooHHHHIIIIOOOO its also very cold in the winter here in great state of ohio lol.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to Retired6
Loco, you gonna freeze your huevos off! Even if they are going through a heat wave!

mfiore
Normal, Why Be Normal
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Dayton, OH
reply to Retired6
I work for GE Money about 60 miles north. Yes, it does snow in Jan in Ohio. Could be 1 in or could be 12 in. In Cincinnati it might be 70 degrees! Be prepare for any season. If you don't like our weather, wait 12 hours, it will change.

penypinch
Premium
join:2007-09-07
Henning, MN
reply to Retired6
said by Retired6:

Thanks, guys !
Will loan you a snowmobile suit lol (very warm)
That is if you stop by Minnesota and pick it up
--
Mitch
support@abetterwireless.com

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Retired6
It may snow. But it may also rain. It may climb into the 60s or be below zero. One thing about Ohio, if you don't like the weather, just wait a little bit and it'll change

The average weather graphs in the link below may be helpful - weather stuff is about 1/3 of the way down the very long page.
»www.city-data.com/city/Cincinnati-Ohio.html
--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis