spc
Search similar:

uniqs
steveymacjr
join:2001-01-25
Matthews, NC

steveymacjr

why believe a union official?

and we are to believe this simply because a union official said so?

The bankruptcy might actually be a good idea for the company, they can use it to get rid of the union contracts, which would be a good idea!

xc runner
@verizon.net

xc runner

Anon

A good idea? Get rid of the people that have worked for the phone company for 30 years. Get rid of the people that worked 20 hours a day in the ice storms for weeks? Get rid of the people who protested this sale to this ill-equiped company from NORTH CAROLINA, STEVE. Should the people that gave you a contract for lets say, your mortgage, car loan, health care, etc be allowed to just get rid of it because they overspent to buy, and had no cash on hand. There are about 2000 union members that will tell you the same thing that the union officials have said. Get the facts straight Steve. You can't push New Englanders and not expect them to push back.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to steveymacjr

Premium Member

to steveymacjr
Why just union contracts? (people actually working to keep thing running) Why not tell the suppliers to take a leap? ("We've got your equipment, try and take it back!!") or the lenders ("sorry, no money for you")

The problem started with the regulators (and regulations (some dating far back) which allowed verizon to escape and even profit for it's OBLIGATION to serve those areas (in return for previous favorable tax treatment, exclusive access, etc. etc.) if anything the should have had to BUY themselves out of those commitments by funding/guaranteeing service to existing customer.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

1 recommendation

tim_k to steveymacjr

Premium Member

to steveymacjr
said by steveymacjr:

The bankruptcy might actually be a good idea for the company, they can use it to get rid of the union contracts, which would be a good idea!
Once again the government fails to do its job. Once again they look the other way as pockets are lined. If Steve's wishes come true the rank & file will take large pay cuts. But never fear, the executives will still make out like bandits »www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 09-05-06 like they always do.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

1 recommendation

mocycler to steveymacjr

Premium Member

to steveymacjr
Why blame Verizon? All they did was get the best deal they could. Can you blame them for that?

If you sold your house and the next owner let it get run down and junky, would it be fair for the neighbors to blame you? Do you have a responsibility to sell it to a lower bidder because they will take better care of the place?

Fairpoint is in charge now. They and they alone are responsible.

The unions are going to do what they have to to line their own pockets. If Fairpoint had offered them a ton of dough, the union would have happily looked the other way and probably would have even lobbied in favor of the sale no matter how it would affect customer service.

The line about how the union "cares about the customers" is horse shit.

mocycler

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

said by mocycler:
sorry mocycler, your unionized technician is about the only one who actually cares about the customer. when i was a Unionized technician, my sole purpose was to take care of the customer. i'm the guy that the customer actually sees from the company. i'm the guy that works the trouble until it is resolved, no matter how long it takes. that's my job as a technician, to take care of the customer. management? well, they exist to manage. rarely do they venture out to a customer's site.
lesopp
join:2001-06-27
Land O Lakes, FL

lesopp to xc runner

to xc runner
I am reminded of the lating phrase, "cave laborem".

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

1 recommendation

tim_k to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:
said by mocycler:
sorry mocycler, your unionized technician is about the only one who actually cares about the customer. when i was a Unionized technician, my sole purpose was to take care of the customer. i'm the guy that the customer actually sees from the company. i'm the guy that works the trouble until it is resolved, no matter how long it takes. that's my job as a technician, to take care of the customer. management? well, they exist to manage. rarely do they venture out to a customer's site.
All management cares about is having you making your quota of tickets for the day. Heaven forbid you take extra time to try to do a good job.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

correctamundo!
they have to watch the metrics and make sure that their numbers look good. god forbid that a tech has less than 65% direct time or that a job goes over the ETW set by the metrics because of unforseen circumstances.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

mocycler to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
And what does being in a union have to do with it?

As an individual employee, you either take pride in your work or you don't. You don't need some organized labor goon to tell you to do a good job. Union membership is not a prerequisite for quality work.

Stop thinking so highly of youself. You're not better because you're union.

mocycler

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

mocycler, have you ever worked for a major telecommunications company that had a unionized workforce?

Noreaster
@myfairpoint.net

Noreaster to mocycler

Anon

to mocycler
What have you got against unions? Unions played an important role in the evolution of the middle class. Without them you would see even greater divergence between rich and poor then we have now. Union goons? I don't know what you mean by that. The people running the unions are the same people who have worked the front lines at the company for years. Every three years anyone who wants to run for a union job, like steward, business manager or president can do so. All union officers are democratically elected by a majority of their peers. So whats wrong with that? The work can be dangerous and risky and was low paying, so after years of wrangling with the company, the employees voted for form a union. It was the union that forced better, safer working conditions, wages and benefits. Can't see a damn thing wrong with that either.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

and this comes from some anonymous poster from the Fairpoint.com domain. outstanding!
this guy that happens to live in the northern New England area that is being destroyed by Fairpoint. my hat is off to you sir. i hope something good comes out of all this mess that Verizon created and Fairpoint is continuing.