Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 edit

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Cableone Speed Test

Click for full size
What do people typically get from the cableone speed test? I am on the 10Mb down/1Mb up plan and typically get these speeds "locally". However, I have been getting half of these speeds "remotely". I called Cableone about this and was told that they do not care what your remote speed is since it "takes longer to get to you" (Yes I know this is a BS answer, but I did not want to go into this with the cust care rep).

Can others post their speed test results from the cableone page?

I seem to get good test speeds through speedtest.net, so I am not sure if the cableone speed test just does not provide accurate information.

Thanks!

Edit:
However, DSLReports is showing me as half the speed as I should get.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

That's odd. I'm getting relatively half of my download speed on the remote side as well. 5300 kbps downstream local, around 2500 kbps downstream remote.

Doing tests on Speakeasy gets me full speed from Atlanta, but half speed from Dallas. Strange.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

I think something has been going on with Cableone for the last week or so and either their tech support does not know about it, or does not want to admit it.

liviorn
join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM

liviorn to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Here's mine...

...identical trends.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Click for full size
Running better for me now, then again I only have the 5 meg standard package and it's 6:48 AM.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Now do the slower tests mean that those servers are just being overloaded, or is the connection really that slow to that particular test server...

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

areoh to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Click for full size
It's all about location and routing. I, of course, have the same issue as the rest of you. My uneducated guess is that the local test is performed somewhere on your local CableOne network. The remote test, on the other hand, could be located in Mexico City for all we know (probably not, but...).

For instance, I can pull top speeds from the Sprint Chicago test here at DSLR. But, any other test here gets questionable results. I'm assuming that I have very few hops to the Chicago server and each hop is in good health (I could confirm this if I knew the server's IP address.) On other servers, my guess is there are more hops; some could be having issues and I'm bond to be dropping packets along the way.

Another example is using a game. Ping times to a Quake Live server in Chicago are in the 30's and 40's. However, anything in CA pings almost right at 100. Perhaps I'll dig up some IP's later and post some Ping Plotter routing tests.

I'm talking out of my butt here as Internet connectivity is not my strong point. But, if testing to a speed test server with 15 hops along the way is going to provide crappy results if one or more of those hops isn't performing at it's peek... and packet-loss is always going to be a problem when you're running over so many hops.

BTW, have you guys tried messing w/ »www.pingtest.net ? Pretty cool tool.

I'm on the Bus Premium 12/1.5 plan.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Yes I just saw that a couple of days ago.

I want an "A" rating!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

"A" rating here.

Neat little tool, areoh. Thanks for showing us.

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Try a different server. You're bound to find an A ratting somewhere. Again, it's all about the routing.

liviorn
join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM

liviorn to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
as a part of statistics
wtxcableguy
join:2008-09-08
Odessa, TX

wtxcableguy to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
The "Local" on the Speedtest, is designed to test from a customer's modem directly to the local headend, provided your system has a local headend and is not grouped with other small systems in your area.

The "Remote" is designed to test onward to a server at the Phoenix servers, and is dedicated strictly for speedtests. This is meant to show that speeds outward from a local point and routing to Phoenix and what the best case scenario is showing for speeds....dependent on the route getting there and any potential backbone issues that can occur.

Once you leave local systems, there can never be an "absolute" positive on top speeds. Everything ALWAYS depends on all the routes getting to whever you are connecting, and even the servers at the other end. For instance, I once had a friend complaining about his speedtest to (at that time) a speedtest at Microsoft's location. I coudn't convince him that he was testing at one of the busiest servers in the entire world. If he was testing speeds elsewhere, it would naturally be faster.

But speedtests are, by large, just a small tool to give you some sort of number to gauge by, but not an absolute truth. Notice that if you were in the Texas area, and used Speedtest.com and went to their "suggested" best location site of El Paso, your speeds would actually show sometimes half of what is the testing to Dallas. This could be the El Paso server's load, or the fact that Dallas is the first major hop on the backbone from west Texas.

So, yes, tests do vary and for good reasons based on routes, locations, server loads....etc. And, sometimes even on the time of day. But, again....that may be because of the load on that remote server's tests...and "not" necessarily because it's 6pm and everyone got home in your area and got online.

Keep using different speed test sites, including Cable One's, but keep in mind that these are just minor tools to give you an idea of your speed but not necessarily your true speed. However, when you are experiencing major differences, try checking with tech support to see if they can look at their tools to see where the problem may lay. You could be experiencing a signal problem, a failing modem, internal network issues, a router firmware issue, and several other things that can also cause speed slowdowns.

R

areoh
Kansas City, MO

areoh

wtxcableguy, thanks a ton for your feedback!

crazyk4952
Premium Member
united state

crazyk4952 to wtxcableguy

Premium Member

to wtxcableguy
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!