All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

SirMewomix_I
@windstream.net

SirMewomix_I to SirMeowmix_I

Anon

to SirMeowmix_I

Re: Thinking about a motorcycle, what do I need to look for?

Good stuff, thanks gentlemen. My motorcycle experience is limited to off-road dirtbike, Yamaha RT-180 oil-injected 2 stroke. I really like the salvage learners bike idea, this is a really good idea.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Not a lot more to say. I will repeat taking an MSF course. Even experienced riders learn something new at these excellent course.
Once you get a bike, you will find your commute will get longer and longer. You'll find the long ways to and from work because it is so much fun.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to SirMewomix_I

Premium Member

to SirMewomix_I
The only thing I have found about older metric bikes is they are sometimes hard to find certain parts for. For example, I have a 86 Honda that the fuel petcock leaks on when you shut it off. The part is no longer available, and I have had my local dealer search all over the US and Japan for one.

Also, parts tend to be more expensive for metric bikes. A master cylinder rebuild kit for my aforementioned Honda is $45. A friend of mine has a 95 Honda, and the flasher relay (which is some specialized relay) is $40. The voltage regulator is $200 (dealer) and the stator is $360.

Aftermarket has some stuff for the older, more popular bikes. Places like J&P cycles, Tucker Rocky, and Bikers Choice are good places to find parts.

You can almost forget finding a salvage Harley. If it's worth something, someone has already bought it and is either riding it or trying to flip it to make a buck.

One more thing, and I can't stress this enough... TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!!! I have been riding for about 8 years now, and I am planning to take the MSF course in the spring...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

The only thing I have found about older metric bikes is they are sometimes hard to find certain parts for. For example, I have a 86 Honda that the fuel petcock leaks on when you shut it off. The part is no longer available, and I have had my local dealer search all over the US and Japan for one.
What model Honda? Have you tried the microfiche at sites like Ronnies, Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit? My '93 GSX-R750 is hard to find parts for as well, and my dealer has been of limited help. But I can usually do OK with the sites that carry the OEM microfiche. I ordered my ignition coils through ronnies. They had to get new old stock from a warehouse in Japan. I cannot help you any with the high prices though, rare foreign parts seem to be worth their weight in gold.
»www.ronniesmailorder.com ··· lect.asp
»www.bikebandit.com/honda ··· em-parts
»fiche.ronayers.com/Index ··· ke/Honda

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Nice links.

I (with attribution) copied them to the links thread.