spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

[Help] How and what should I use to detail..

Arizona Beige-AQ

Top of bumper

Running Boards

Black Faded Beltline
I wish to get the opinions of the Braintrust of all you DSLR's. [I did do a site search but did not find what I was looking for]. I wish to detail this truck before winter sets in. Bought a year ago and all these surfaces looked like new.

Wife had a two-tone Nissan Z car, so I have on hand what I used on its metallic? paint and clear coat. And rear door of canopy will just require a little paint touch up. But.....

This is the first I have owned that has so much factory exposed plastic-like surfaces that need detailing on this 2002 F150.

I prefer to do it myself instead of hiring it out. I am looking for any tips, tricks and recommendations as to products.

The one thing that has me puzzled are the running boards, "plastic mudflaps" the belt line around the windows and the rear bumper surfaces. Pictures show areas I am concerned about and wish to tackle.

In addition this truck has Leather and according to the Owner's Manual the Lariat seats have a "clear protective coating over the leather". What would be recommended?

Any experience you may have and any products you may recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

south1178

Premium Member

Mothers back-to-black for the black plastic parts. I'd recommend a good wash and then claybar for the vehicle followed up with a cleaner wax and then a couple good coats of a polymer wax like Meguiars NXT.

hortnut
Huh?
PDX Metro

hortnut

Thanks,

Looking up info on claybar I come with different types? and manufactures.

BLACKFIRE PolyClay, Zaino Z-18 Clay Bar, Mother's, Meguiars and others. Any particular brand/type recommended over another?

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
I've used mothers and mequiars...not a real difference in either. Just make sure you wet the area really well with the quick detailer before using it.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
On the black parts I've used Black Wax and a firm scrub brush using a clean towel afterwards with nice results.

mythology
Premium Member
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

mythology to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
Click for full size
NOT turtle wax hard shell. I swear, 3 days after i detail my truck the turtle wax is gone. After one wash. Not sure why.

hortnut
Huh?
PDX Metro

hortnut

I think I see why

My vehicle is my wife's - I would put it in the category of a RoadQueen.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to mythology

MVM

to mythology
What do you do for diff vents?