Premium
join:2003-03-09
Valhalla
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

1 edit

[BOINC] Windows 7 & Bonic

Will be getting Windows 7 this month, not sure if it is going to be an upgrade or clean install, and was wondering if the client will work properly on the new OS. Anyone have any experience, advice and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

edit: Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade
--
A dog is just a dog unless it is running. Then it is a dog of action. ~ Team Discovery

munky99999
Munky

join:2004-04-10
canada

2 recommendations

quote:
Will be getting Windows 7 this month, not sure if it is going to be an upgrade or clean install
Never upgrade your operating system. What you are essentially doing is keeping the same bad and upgrading the main files which may be already in good condition. So backup all your important things and fresh install everything.

quote:
and was wondering if the client will work properly on the new OS.
Works great Your mileage may vary but I had a nice performance boost by upgrading xp to 7.

Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
kudos:2
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
2 recommendations

reply to dliw
I'm running Boinc on Win7 Pro 64 bit and the RC. I've heard that some people had problems with HPF2 work units on the 64 bit version of Boinc but I have had only 1 WU that hiccupped since August. If you're going to a 64 bit version of 7 the 32 bit version of Boinc will run fine also.

glennaxl
Premium
join:2007-02-16
Zion
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to dliw
I got 1 rig running win7 rc without any problems except HPF2 whc has continual issue of "ERROR:: Exit at: .\dock_structure.cc line:401"

a clean install is always the best as you don't have to guess if you have an issue whether its from previous OS or Win7. Also separate the OS drive to your Data drive.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to dliw
no problems at all running the 64 bit client on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

as for update /vs full install, while the upgrade process has (IMO) improved for Win 7, I still recommend doing a clean install of the OS and apps if at all possible as this guarantees no chance of something being missed or getting corrupted.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband

1 recommendation

reply to dliw
OK! You guys convinced me to do a clean install. Pre-ordered the 32 bit edition so can't change that. Will make a full image of Vista just in guess.

Thank you all for the replies. Team Discovery rocks!
--
A dog is just a dog unless it is running. Then it is a dog of action. ~ Team Discovery

munky99999
Munky

join:2004-04-10
canada

1 recommendation

said by dliw:

OK! You guys convinced me to do a clean install. Pre-ordered the 32 bit edition so can't change that. Will make a full image of Vista just in guess.

Thank you all for the replies. Team Discovery rocks!
sweet.

»einstein.phys.uwm.edu/show_host_···=2043177

That's my comp.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband
reply to dliw
Just realized the Windows 7 disc has both 32 and 64 bit editions included plus my processor is a 64 bit AMD. Would like to run 64 bit but how can I tell if my drivers are compatible? Don't want to go through a big hassle and the need to reinstall.
--

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

See......I knew there was a reason I've stayed with 95b!!

glennaxl
Premium
Zion
reply to dliw
try the win7 upgrade advisor

If there are vista 64bit drivers for ur device then it would likely be compatible.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to dliw
Great info...thanks to all that helped.

I've added a spot for Win 7 in our FAQ, and linked to this thread.
If you have more to add to it, let me know

»Team Discovery WCG BOINC FAQ »Windows 7 Compatibility

Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
kudos:2
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to glennaxl
said by glennaxl:

try the win7 upgrade advisor

If there are vista 64bit drivers for ur device then it would likely be compatible.
^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, FWIW I have had no problems with drivers on the RTM Win 7 Pro. I had several with the RC that installing Vista drivers solved. Getting full functions with printers seemed to be the biggest problem that I heard. The 7 RTM compatability is much better. Your results may vary depending on the hardware you're using but the vendors seemed to have been much better prepared for the 7 rollout and the generic windows drivers should work for most if not all of your stuff.
--
If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can read this in English thank a vet.

glennaxl
Premium
Zion
reply to dliw
I just notice that win7 eats 512M less than vista...

Doing more test now, will report in a week to gather boinc results.

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Atlantic Broadband
reply to dliw
Click for full size
Click for full size
After encountering problems, which at the time I didn't realize was from Compatibility View issues, I reinstalled to Win7 32 bit from 64 bit.

One possible problem I noticed is that in Power Options it is by default set to Balanced which will put your computer to sleep. Thus, no wu being processed. I use Performance myself.
--

glennaxl
Premium
Zion

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by dliw:

After encountering problems, which at the time I didn't realize was from Compatibility View issues, I reinstalled to Win7 32 bit from 64 bit.

One possible problem I noticed is that in Power Options it is by default set to Balanced which will put your computer to sleep. Thus, no wu being processed. I use Performance myself.
One more, your HD might go to sleep..

dliw
Premium
Valhalla
Thank you. I forgot to illustrate that next step.