dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

xocsucram

how close are we to 1080p broadcasting or better compresion?

what will be first

uncompressed 720p/1080i and/or full 1080p?

does the current cabling we have now have the capabilities to broadcast 1080p or uncompressed 720p/1080i or would it require a new roll out?

i live in Piscataway NJ.

also, has anyone else noticed that certain channels look more clear than others? judging from sports broadcasts, ESPN, FOX, CBS, ABC and NBC have noticeably different picture clarity on a regular basis, so i don't think its a matter of certain stadium/arena cameras but rather those individual channels broadcasting capabilities or its Cablevision, but considering these are the biggest major networks its hard to believe they wouldn't use the best cameras, thoughts?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 edit

MxxCon

how close are we to 1080p broadcasting or better compresion?
about this close |----------|*

*not to scale

you will never see any "uncompressed" streams. especially HD.
there is absolutely no reason to transmit an uncompressed stream.
you need to learn how and why video compression works, then you wouldn't be talking about "uncompressed" streams.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to xocsucram

to xocsucram
I think they would switch to MPEG-4 before they went 1080p in order to conserve bandwidth.

OOLneedsMP4
@optonline.net

OOLneedsMP4

Anon

said by n2jtx:

I think they would switch to MPEG-4 before they went 1080p in order to conserve bandwidth.
That's what CV needs to do to fight FiOS. Go MPEG-4
jpr281
join:2006-01-12
Shirley, NY

1 edit

jpr281

said by OOLneedsMP4 :

That's what CV needs to do to fight FiOS. Go MPEG-4
Isn't that what the new boxes that CV is rumored to be testing are for?

anonposter
@optonline.net

anonposter to xocsucram

Anon

to xocsucram
I've heard they will never do 1080p... just bypass it altogether.

I also think if we stay with the formats being used now it will only get more compressed.

Everyone wants more channels. As with most things in life... Most people want quantity not quality.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

1 recommendation

rv65

Premium Member

1080p24 is possible in next generation boxes. Broadcom has developed 2 SoC chips that can do 1080p60. The current ones can do 1080p24 and 1080p30. The new BCM7410 and 7420 can convert 1080i to 1080p60. These chips also have better power management features. They will be coming out in new STB's in late 2010 to 2011.
rv65

1 recommendation

rv65

Premium Member

TWC and other major MSO's in conjunction with CableLabs have developed a new IPTV protocol that can do 1080p24 VOD using MPEG-4 compression. MPEG-4 is another major possibility. Current boxes that use Broadcom chips can support it. Legacy boxes will have to be swapped out in order to get it. MPEG-4 allows up to 5 HD on 1 QAM and still look ok. 4 HD per QAM is looking awesome while 3 HD per QAM would be killer. I've heard you can have 1080p24 using MPEG-4 looks great while using MPEG-2 HD bitrates. It also allows for more SD channels per QAM. They could have 15 or 16 SD channels per QAM and still look good. Plus it can refined even further.

MPEG-4 is going to be an important part in the future of cableTV.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by rv65:

I've heard you can have 1080p24 using MPEG-4 looks great while using MPEG-2 HD bitrates
that's horrible!
mpeg4 is alot more efficient.
with mpeg4 you have same picture quality as mpeg2 with smaller bitrates
or with mpeg4 you can have better picture quality than mpeg2 with the same bitrates.