Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
reply to jlivingood

Re: More than Twitter

Eh yes and no. In some cases the "more openness" Comcast policy has solved problems. In many cases I just think it mitigates the general outrage over something minor. Folks are less likely to be ticked off at someone who generally seems to care and make it right vs BigFaceLessCompany (regardless of who they are).

Recently I've asked about getting some more speed; both on the phone (useless) and with ComcastSteve. I believe I'm on old Adelphia plant so there isn't much Steve or anyone can do but he gave me the equivalent of the a corporate cookie while I wait for the upgrade. It was unexpected, but a nice gesture and I appreciated it. That's sort of a mitigation example.

I reinvested the discount cookie by buying a DS3 modem (even though its still at DS2 speeds) which unfortunately put me back in the Comcast DNS "helper" service. Since I don't have any idea what my Comcast.net login is (I don't use it for anything and haven't touched it since I set up the account years ago), I couldn't easily opt-out, however having the dns ips on dns.comcast.net, I could just switch the dns settings in the router and its done. No phone call for Comcast or me to have to deal with. That's a tiny savings.

And of course, I do think it helps your overall PR. That and AT&T new quest to be "most evilest tech/net company ever". .

As for JSRoman's comment, frankly, the install was my worst experience with Comcast. It's in my review but some guy showing up at 9PM, talking on the phone the whole time, and pretty much just tossing a RG6 cable at me and running doesn't exactly woo you in the whole customer service department. I'm techy enough to pretty much take it from there but had this been a non-tech person, the install would have had to been rescheduled and that wouldn't have gotten any gold stars. I know that's not everybody but still ...

And I would say that I am more likely to deal with you guys through the forums here (or the direct forums) than on twitter or the phone. If nothing else, it's been more successful. It is appreciated.