join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

Market fail. Regulation is only way

When there simply isn't enough competition to provide consumers with choices they want to make, it's only fair to come in and control the carriers via Government regulations.

And they have only themselves to blame. Abuse and false claims of "The market will self regulate" leads itself to the outcome the carriers least want. Greed is not good. Not for consumers, and not for the long term profitability of the carriers.

I will not cry for them one bit.
IDriveForFun
join:2009-10-22

1 edit

IDriveForFun

No, if the carriers see enough complaints, and enough people going to the smaller carriers who don't require it, they will change eventually. This trend will probably work itself into the antiquated past just as the 10 min. "emergency" plans of 1997 did.

However appealing it is at the moment, government regulation is not the answer.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Yeah, switch to the smaller carriers that compete with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular etc.

Ok let me just think of their names.... Hmmm. Seems like they are resellers. So they are also at the mercy of the top companies.

drock4484
@nuvox.net

drock4484 to IDriveForFun

Anon

to IDriveForFun
While I am usually very much opposed to govt regulation of anything, I think at some point the govt needs to step in and reign in these mobile phone companies. There's only 4 real competitors and it seems like as soon as one raises their price they all do, none of them ever drop costs. So its really not free market capitalism at play. SMS messaging plans have gone up exponentially in cost but they cost the carriers basically nothing to send a message as they are piggy backed on calls. Data plans used to be $15, then $20, now they are all $30. Arent prices supposed to go down over time with new technologies?