spc
uniqs

dwhayden
join:2000-12-23
Greenwood, IN

dwhayden to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Question? - for subsidized smartphones or all smartphones

An AT&T person told me I can cancel the data plan at any time since I'm grandfathered in, but if I were to signup with it again I'd be forced into keeping it "FOREVER". I said what if I "Downgrade" to a dumb phone (wink wink). I could then cancel the plan? She said, "Yes". I said I can then put my SIM back in my smartphone, and be without data. She said, "Well, I guess you could do that".

This seems so ridiculous. I can understand why they would force someone who is buying a subsidized phone, but it doesn't make sense to force someone into a service that brings their own equipment. The AT&T person said they do it for my protection to avoid the accidental high fees of pay per use. Again that is stupid, because if that was true they would just opt people out of data instead.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

said by dwhayden:

The AT&T person said they do it for my protection to avoid the accidental high fees of pay per use. Again that is stupid, because if that was true they would just opt people out of data instead.
If that was their real concern they could cut you off after a set amount of overages kicks in or allow customers to set caps.
k1ll3rdr4g0n
join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n to dwhayden

to dwhayden
said by dwhayden:

An AT&T person told me I can cancel the data plan at any time since I'm grandfathered in, but if I were to signup with it again I'd be forced into keeping it "FOREVER". I said what if I "Downgrade" to a dumb phone (wink wink). I could then cancel the plan? She said, "Yes". I said I can then put my SIM back in my smartphone, and be without data. She said, "Well, I guess you could do that".

This seems so ridiculous. I can understand why they would force someone who is buying a subsidized phone, but it doesn't make sense to force someone into a service that brings their own equipment. The AT&T person said they do it for my protection to avoid the accidental high fees of pay per use. Again that is stupid, because if that was true they would just opt people out of data instead.
Wither it is ridiculous or not, I have no opinion on the subject as I pay $30/month for unlimited already so it doesn't affect me.
BUT, an important note to make -
You CAN "downgrade" to a dumb phone, get the dataplan, and pop your sim card into your WM device and everything will work fine - and you are only paying $15/month instead of $30. I have heard NUMEROUS stories of people who have done that and nothing happens to them or their account. However, AT&T claims they have the right, again they CLAIM, to backcharge you if they found out you did this. I think the only people that they would backcharge are those IDIOTS who think that they can bittorrent on the "dumb phone" internet plan.
I do not do this, nor do I condone it. But, it is just one of the many workarounds that make this not sensible - as I am sure many people would do the "workaround".
But, then again, if you are purchasing a smartphone to not use internet activity, what did you buy it for? Buy a pocket pc if you need a PDA without internet access.