spc
Search similar:

uniqs
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I would like some flexibility...

I had data plans on VZW for 20 months (I had a optional data plan on the Q and the mandated plan on the BlackBerry). I didn't mind paying for it since I was using it a lot. However, as time wore on, I was using the data less but I was stuck with the $24/month fee. Then, it hit me! I downgraded phones (since I couldn't kill the BB data) with the early/annual upgrade program. I eventually got an unlocked and unbranded Nokia E63 and placed a AT&T PAYG SIM in it. Although I only get 100 MB for $20 (lasting for 30 days), it is enough for my light usage. I just carry over my remaining data by buying 1MB for $5. Lousy proposition, but it works

Verizon does have a mandated data plan for their most recent smartphones, all BlackBerry phones, and the dumbphone Samsung Rogue; however, it is optional for smartphones that launched before November 18, 2008. VZW does sell 2 older smartphones that don't require the unlimited data plan: the Touch XV6900 and the SMT5800. Users of those phones can select a pay per KB option or call in to block data.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

An optional plan (as opposed to the monthly data option, and this is certainly usable with Wifi-capable smartphones, such as the forthcoming Storm2) is the when-you-need-it data option at $3/day (VZW). The issue in reality is that there are few Wifi-enabled smartphones! Other than the iPhone and Storm 2, how many smartphones havve WiFi as standard fare without hacks? (The Storm 2 will be VZW's first Wifi-standard smartphone.) Given the prevalence of hotspots (either low-cost or no-cost) and the availability of legacy laptops, I have little respect (and no love) for those that insist on using a smartphone as a laptop-replacement. The very reason I have had little interest in a smartphone is because of the lack of WiFi (which is why there has been a data plan requirement). Until Wifi becomes standard on smartphones, that data-plan requirement will continue because it actually makes sense. Smartphones *invite* data usage, and if they lack WiFi (which is true of almost all of them), how else are they going to access it sans PC tethering? I like the Storm 2 (and original Storm) because it's a touch-enabled wireless phone that can sync with a PC; even better, it actually costs less than most other touch-screen phones.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I agree with this!!! A la the VZNavigator, there is (was) an option where you can pay $2.99/day or $9.99/month. If there was some sort of a daily fee option, I would consider getting a smartphone. If any data is accessed, just bill the daily fee to the account (like the $1.99/MB charges on dumbphones)

Although the list of WiFi enabled devices are few (Ozone, Touch Pro2, Touch Diamond, Imagio), I think that the list is only going to grow.