uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX
reply to gogregor6

Re: persistent connection to qw-in-f113.1e100.net on boot

Netfixer is correct.

OK, I just started the latest version 2.54, right clicked on a closed wait and it gave me the path and command line. I am unsure what is happening but your experience is not the usual behavior.

I am living in the dark ages, still running XP. If it's Vista it may need administrator rights. I don't have access to a Vista box right now. I do know that on the Vista box process explorer needs administrative rights to reveal any meaningful information. Try run as administrator, not from a shortcut, right click the actual file > run as. UAC drives me up the wall.

Currports at: »www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html is often recommended but I have never used it.

You stated, "Also - no third party firewall??? What is the indication for that??" Normally when something calls home the first indication is a firewall alert. Rereading your post I see you stumbled into it with a netstat. My bad. Installing a third party firewall would catch it but they frequently don't clean uninstall.

If it's Vista try run as administrator and see if that works. I don't think this is malacious but it is a good mystery.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by dsilvers:

OK, I just started the latest version 2.54, right clicked on a closed wait and it gave me the path and command line. I am unsure what is happening but your experience is not the usual behavior.
That depends on from what process you are attempting to obtain the properties.

A normal application will show its properties, but TCPView will not show the properties for a System process:

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

@netfixer

You are right. I had not noticed that before. Any ideas on how to catch it short of a firewall. I am out of aces.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by dsilvers:

@netfixer

You are right. I had not noticed that before. Any ideas on how to catch it short of a firewall. I am out of aces.
I already suggested Process Explorer. It sees all and tells all.

If you walk the process trees, you can find out about all active processes including any network sessions.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson