spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Elyssa

@verizon.net

How do I use my D-link DIR-655 with the Westell 9100?

Hi guys,

I was browsing this forum and I apologize in advance if this has been posted already but I just recently purchased a D-link DIR655 and I was wondering if I could use it instead of the one that Verizon FIOS provided which is the Westell 9100 UltraLine series3?

If so, how would I do it?

Thanks!

Elyssa

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
This gets asked so often there is an FAQ for it.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Please post back if you have any questions after reading the FAQ. You will need to specify:
•If you have FIOS-TV
•If you have a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT

Elyssa

@verizon.net
Hi Fiber,

No I dont have FIOS-TV, just the internet

I'm not quite sure what is coax or cat5.....it looks like a standard cable line connected to it.

-Elyssa

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
coax = RG59/RG6 cable (i.e. what you've got)
cat5 = ethernet cable

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Elyssa
You have two basic choices:
  • Convert your connection between the Westell and the ONT from coax to cat5. This will allow you to connect your router in place of the Westell.
    Instructions for converting are here:
    »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

• Leave the router connected via coax, and use option 4 in the FAQ to create a MOCA WAN (coax to ethernet) bridge.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
said by More Fiber:

You have two basic choices:
  • Convert your connection between the Westell and the ONT from coax to cat5. This will allow you to connect your router in place of the Westell.
    Instructions for converting are here:
    »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

• Leave the router connected via coax, and use option 4 in the FAQ to create a MOCA WAN (coax to ethernet) bridge.

There is a third option (especially if the AT uses the default subnet for its clients) - daisy-chaining.

Typically, the AT uses 192.168.0.xxx for its clients; for daisy-chaining, connect the second router to an unused LAN port of the AT, making sure that DHCP of the second router is left on (both client and server). Just make sure (by connecting it to a non-networked PC with a wired connection) that it is set for a different Class C sub-block than the A-T (192.168.2.xxx is ideal). That way you can have two different subnets separated by capability (or even by protocol if you have a LAN with mixed G and N wireless devices, and the second router is N, or you actually have some wireless devices only capable of supporting WEP or less, so those can be steered by IP in the A-T's direction).

I've done this with a Westell and a Linksys WRT310N; I would think that an A-T would also allow this method.

keld

@verizon.net
reply to Elyssa
Hi - I also have a similar request like Elyssa. I have a 9100EM with a coax connection and want to use a recently purchased Asus WL-520GU as a router. Connection is just for internet (no STB/TV)

I researched into option 4 (MOCA WAN) and many other methods posted online to no avail. In option 4, the primary problem is the instructions given are for ActionTec and it does not correlate to screens shown in the Westell (»How do I turn my Verizon 9100EM Router into a "Bridge" ?).

There's another post where it said the problem is Westell does not have a way to set a 'no ip' for WAN IP. (»I need help bridging my Westell 9100 EM router)

At this point, i am very lost...hope someone in this forum can help out!

Thanks.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to PGHammer
said by PGHammer:

There is a third option (especially if the AT uses the default subnet for its clients) - daisy-chaining.
Daisy-chaining is certainly an option to run your own router as secondary with either the Actiontec or Westell. It is a good choice when the user router is to be used for a wireless access point.

Daisy-chaining is listed in the trade-offs FAQ as option #1. It is the simplest method and the one recommended by VZ. However, OP had asked to replace ("instead of") the Westell, so I listed the replacement options.

BTW, the default subnet for the Actiontec is 192.168.1.x (same as the Westell).

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to keld
said by keld :

I have a 9100EM with a coax connection and want to use a recently purchased Asus WL-520GU as a router. Connection is just for internet (no STB/TV)
If you're willing to be a guinea pig, sign up as a registered user (it's free) and IM me your email address. I'll send you the internet bridging instructions for the Westell that I've been working on.

kelderon

join:2009-10-25
Thanks More Fiber! I'll take you up on your offer. More than happy to be a guinea pig