how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SlyLoK6

join:2007-10-19
Sugar Grove, VA

Modem Question(s)

I am running Vista 32Bit and I have a Creative Modem Blaster DI5633 that I used without problems when I had an Nforce4 motherboard ( used the XP driver with no issues ). A little while ago the board died and so I bought an AMD / ATI ( M3A78 I think ) chipset instead and for some reason or another this motherboard does not like the modem at all. I cant reboot my PC unless I disable the modem ( get a BSOD at Windows loading screen if I dont ) and it is causing some of my games to crash my PC. This modem still gives me 44-46.6 connections with 4.5-5.0 download speeds.

So I bought a Rosewill 56X63 ( I think ) just to keep from jumping through hoops but this modem only gives me 36.6-38.6 speeds with 3KB download speeds.

Now that the story is out of the way.. I am trying to figure out if these modems are software or hardware based.. I have looked in many places for specs but none seem to give a clear answer. I want to know so I can get another modem that will give me better performance like the Creative Modem.

interlync

join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL
You may want to change your modem init strings to better optimize your connection. OH, did you mean maybe a Rockwell modem?

I've used a few USB modems while traveling recently. I have been very happy with the Zoom USB dongle modem. I have seen connect speeds to our dialup network range from 46.6 to 53.

I know your not travelling, but I was surprised at the quality of connection on this USB modem. For internal modems, I still use a 3COM/USR 56K modem from way back.