how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Airplane777

join:2004-06-20

4 edits

MagicJack connect to ethernet ?

Is it easy to convert the MagicJack USB plug over to ethernet, and plug it into an ethernet jack?

I have easy access to an ethernet jack, but not a usb. So I was hoping there is some kind of converter plug that will allow the Magic Jack usb plug to be converted over to ethernet, and plug that in.

Thanks much

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1
said by Airplane777:

Is it easy to convert the MagicJack USB plug over to ethernet, and plug it into an ethernet jack?
Nope. You have to plug it into a computer, load the software on the computer and the computer must remain turned on, logged in and running the software.

Airplane777

3 edits
Thanks for your reply.

I thought I read somewhere that MJ will be coming out with a device with memory, so that a computer doesn't need to be turned on. Kind of like the Radio Shack adapter I use with Vonage.

With my little Radio Shack device (about 4" x 4" x 1"), my computer doesn't have to be turned on. I don't even need a computer. I just plug the RS device into one of my router switch ports. I was hoping MJ would have something like that coming out soon.

I would probabaly switch over to MJ if I didn't need to have my computer turned on all the time to make MJ work.

brawney
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD
kudos:1
Yeah, you're talking about a terminal adapter (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_tel···_adapter). That is a typical VoIP setup, but not with the MJ. Thats one of the big drawbacks of MJ in many people's opinion.

I haven't heard that they'll be coming out with new hardware. That would be nice. There used to be a way to hack up a setup and use a TA, but from what I understand MJ has blocked that from working anymore.

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
reply to Airplane777
said by Airplane777:

I thought I read somewhere that MJ will be coming out with a device ...
We've been reading about that (and a Linux softphone) for over a year. A "femtocell" was announced 6-9 months ago. It was supposed to be released by now.

Anything you read as "news" coming from MJ, don't believe it.

Mark

Airplane777

Hi guys:

Yep...that is a drawback, not having a TA. How can it hurt MJ for people to have a TA?

I guess I'll just stay with Vonage, until MJ gets a TA.

Thanks

andre2

join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

1 edit
It's part of their business model. To deliver ads, they need people to be using a PC. If an ATA option was offered, it would cost more - although many would be willing to pay, depending on the price.

Edit: Another reason requiring a PC makes it cheaper is that it means lower usage, since most people don't leave their PC on 24/7. It's possible to get around that (and avoid seeing ads) by getting a thin client, but most people don't bother.

Airplane777

I didn't think about the ad part.