LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Found the cable...

Click for full size
Click for full size
...with a backhoe.

Go ahead, as me how my day went. And I'm the fibre guy, not the backhoe guy. My day wasn't great. His was worse.

It actually wasn't as bad as it could have been... There's a 144 strand cable in the duct, that wasn't damaged - just the ductwork itself. Fairly easy fix, pics tomorrow...

As for those of you that wanted to know what the "conduit" under the street looks like - well, here ya go.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2

So, where does this fiber serve or who's is it?

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Sorry, can't elaborate too much; but I will say it's used for metro transport, in a mid-size city...

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to LazMan

Someone didnt dial before they dug.

More over, it looks to be buried very shallow, and wheres the warning tape that should have been buried above the conduit?

Still, not nice to run into someones conduit when you are digging.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
reply to LazMan

Well, if you can't go into to much detail, then it sounds like it would have been very bad if it was cut... At least that didn't happen, things could have been worse...
--
Duct tape is like The Force – it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the Universe together

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR
reply to LazMan

When we put in a new fiber run to our building it had to be placed in a 4" PVC conduit. This looks like the fiber inter-duct was buried directly. Not sure how they got away with that.

Honestly I thought 4" was series overkill for a single fiber line, but if your paying to lay conduit you might as well over build a little.

bilbusb

join:2003-04-10
Tucker, GA
reply to LazMan

lol, i bet that ruined that backhoe operator's day.

I remember having the search my building's front lawn for out fiber conduit ... that was a fun 5 hours. Call before you dig only was able to locate the conduit next to it (one with copper cables.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Well, the ducts were buried about 1.6m (about 5') under the road surface, and no, no locates were done... Which means this will be expensive for the construction company; their insurance typically doesn't cover costs, if no locates are done.

These are 3" Poly ducts, walls are about 1/2" thick - very common, at least up here - as they can be directionally bored, and pulled in; rather then the PVC ducts, that have to be trenched into place...

bbuchanan
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Peterborough, ON
reply to LazMan

And was the Tim Hortons thrown in by you going

"the damn backhoe operator",

or was the it backhoe operator going

"how can I get away so they know it wasn't me"

LazMan
Premium
canada

lol - Timmies must have been the hoe operator... I was drinking Robyn's...

Repairs are complete, pics to follow...

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to LazMan

Click for full size
Temporary fix
said by LazMan:

Well, the ducts were buried about 1.6m (about 5') under the road surface, and no, no locates were done... Which means this will be expensive for the construction company; their insurance typically doesn't cover costs, if no locates are done.

These are 3" Poly ducts, walls are about 1/2" thick - very common, at least up here - as they can be directionally bored, and pulled in; rather then the PVC ducts, that have to be trenched into place...
We wont put in anything smaller than 2" anymore and we have gotten in the habit of using two 2" ducts for most new runs even if we only need a single duct. The price increase is negligable except for bores, which luckily we have to do very little of.

Our last fiber that was hit (about a month ago) was in the bottom of a drainage culvert. When they bored the ditch they were about 7-8' below 'ground level' in the culvert. Too bad the ground level was 30 years worth of overburden which MoDOT decided it was time to clean out. They pinched the fiber when one of the bobcats got stuck and the operator decided to try to rock his way out which resulted in him just going deeper and catching the duct in the tracks. They then used a large escavator to yank the bobcat and our fiber up out of the hole.. At least they were nice enough to fill in the hole enough that we were only standing in about ankle deep water...

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
And the fix...

Cut out the damage, split-duct patch, and back-filled...