Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mezzy316

join:2009-10-19
Oshkosh, WI

1 edit

[Other] Ooma Outbound Caller ID Not Working

I ported my number from AT&T to Ooma about 6 weeks ago. The phone service itself is working great. I love it. However, I am having one problem that I cannot seem to get resolved. Every time I call someone, their Caller ID shows my correct phone number, but the name is shows is "Null, Null".

After much searching online in these forums and other places, it looks like getting the proper name to display is the responsibility of the carrier at the terminating end of the call. However, this is happening on every call I make, across multiple carriers on the terminating end. What can I do to get this fixed? People are avoiding answering our calls because they don't know who "Null, Null" is.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Re: [Other] Outbound Caller ID Not Working

In this thread that you started, see the more recent posts:

»www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3229

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

Unfortunately nothing posted there has done me any good, hence the reason I am posting here.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to mezzy316

Didn't I see a post here about it taking a couple months for outbound cname to catch up.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to mezzy316

Did you try to contact Targusinfo?

Just curious.

And what have your interactions been with Ooma support?

ALSO, I would include OOMA in your original title. You can go back and change it ("edit"). The reason to include OOMA in the title is more Ooma customers will read this thread, AND the Ooma marketing exec who sometimes views this forum too!!

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

Have not tried Targusinfo. I have seen a couple posts on the Ooma board from people that have and it hasn't fixed it. I have an open ticket right now with Ooma, and I have also emailed Bobby B directly. He did get back to me and said that he can see the ticket, but I've had no resolution yet.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2

It takes a while for outgoing caller-id name to work correctly with Ooma. Usually 2-4 months.

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to mezzy316

Re: [Other] Ooma Outbound Caller ID Not Working

what this smells like (long resolution time, contradictory info, etc.) is that the new CLEC put the OP's number on a plan that does not include outgoing caller ID name. CLECs typically charge more for more functionality, and caller ID name is added functionality. the key question is was that an error, or is ooma now buying cheaper DID numbers? Someone with access to ooma's FAQ and/or feature set list might take a look and see if outbound caller ID name continues to be listed as a standard feature. We can comfortably assume that it used to be in the past. If the feature has disappeared, perhaps ooma is buying cheaper to preserve cash, thus creating this problem. Wouldn't be the first time at a VOIP provider that the Boss does something and first line service reps are not aware.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5

It's not really that there is no Caller ID Name. There in fact is, and it's set to "Null, Null". It seems like a coding bug to me. For example, it seems like something like this happened:

$callername = $firstname . ", " . $lastname;

since nobody ever defined $firstname or $lastname, you'll end up with "Null, Null" which is exactly what's returned from CNAM dips.

If there was no Caller Name on record, I would expect to have a not found message returned from the dip.

There are about a dozen Ooma customers with this same problem who keep checking their numbers though my trial feature at cnam.info.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by Trev:

It's not really that there is no Caller ID Name. There in fact is, and it's set to "Null, Null". It seems like a coding bug to me....

If there was no Caller Name on record, I would expect to have a not found message returned from the dip.

There are about a dozen Ooma customers with this same problem who keep checking their numbers though my trial feature at cnam.info.
Sounds right! Thanks for the insight!

Hopefully we will hear from Ooma soon, and we hope that they do not invoke Oomerta.

On various CNAM services I have seen all sorts of things such as Private Name, Unknown Name, and so forth, but I have NEVER seen a "Null".

Must be an Ooma bug, as you say.

bandwidthkiw

join:2008-03-12
Cary, NC
reply to mezzy316

I am pretty sure that the carrier that provides the number you are calling does the CNAM dip (not OOMA). From my understanding there are 3 main databases that need to be updated for CNAM however (as an example) when we port a number over we do not have to update the CNAM databases because the CNAM is already there. We only update the CNAM databases for new numbers or when someone wants to update it themselves. I am sure Nitzan can clarify this. I do know that we do not support sending CNAM - it is the receiving end that does the CNAM look up.

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

So since my number was a port, and the cnam was correct before the port went through, why would the cnam go from being correct to suddenly being "Null, Null" if the databases were never changed?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to bandwidthkiw

You are right, but sometimes the LOSING carrier (ATT in this case) will WIPE the databases.

It's not even that they are evil or anything like that. To them, it is a disconnection. It is up to the new carrier to re-populate the databases (CNAM/LIDB) with the current correct information.

------------------------------------------------

In NJ, a big hospital changed from Verizon to PAETEC. On outbound CNAM, the hospital's name was replaced by UNKNOWN for several weeks until PAETEC could update databases. And mind you, this was a HUGE customer.

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

So if that's the case, I either need to get Ooma to repopulate the databases or take care of it myself. I already have a trouble ticket open with Ooma for this problem, and I would assume that they know they need to repopulate the databases. Let's say they do that, how long before I stop being "Null, Null"? If it's still an issue, can I take care of it myself somehow?

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

In an earlier time, the name and direct phone number of the woman who handled outgoing caller-id name database stuff was provided to Ooma customers. Unfortunately this is no longer the case. The support isn't as informal and friendly as it used to be if you don't already know some of the people and have direct numbers.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to mezzy316

Pandora said above:

"It takes a while for outgoing caller-id name to work correctly with Ooma. Usually 2-4 months".

You are not going to be able to fix the important LIDB tools used by POTS and VoIP companies for incoming CNAM, by yourself.

This old post of mine may have some useful links towards the bottom. More related to 411 and directory lists than to CNAM but who knows....

»Re: [General] My attempts to get my voip number in the local pho

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to pandora

Could you provide that info to mezzy316 by IM?

Surely he has a valid purpose for it.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by PX Eliezer7:

Could you provide that info to mezzy316 by IM?

Surely he has a valid purpose for it.
I'm uncertain if I can. Others however on the Ooma forum may be able to help. Many will know her, she is well liked and very helpful. My suggestion is that he post on the Ooma forum.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5
reply to mezzy316

said by mezzy316:

...I would assume that they know they need to repopulate the databases. Let's say they do that, how long before I stop being "Null, Null"? If it's still an issue, can I take care of it myself somehow?
For "real" CNAM updates to take effect, it would be instantly. For those who use 3rd party databases, it will be the time it takes for your 411/phone book listing to be updated + the refresh interval of that 3rd party database, which can be months.

With real CNAM data there is no caching allowed, ever, so the update is seen immediately.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to pandora

said by pandora:

My suggestion is that he post on the Ooma forum.
He did, a few weeks ago.

»www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3229

----------------------------------------

It seems that Ooma continues to slide downhill.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

The name of the woman (Roz) he needs to speak to is here - »www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph···&start=0

I agreed not to give out her direct number.
--

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO
reply to mezzy316

said by mezzy316:

can I take care of it myself somehow?
only the carrier controlling the number is authorized to update name info in LIDB. you can call your provider, but no one else in telecom would be authorized to act on your request. even the CLEC that ooma is buying from would not be authorized to act on your personal request ... they need to hear it from ooma, which is their customer. third parties are forbidden to modify other carriers' records.

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

Called Ooma and I just keep getting the same answer: "We have your trouble ticket and we are working on it." I'm no telephone technician, but this sure doesn't seem like something that should be this difficult or take this long to resolve. I'm at my wits end.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO

said by mezzy316:

Called Ooma and I just keep getting the same answer: "We have your trouble ticket and we are working on it." I'm no telephone technician, but this sure doesn't seem like something that should be this difficult or take this long to resolve. I'm at my wits end.
did you look up their list of features and see if they still support outgoing caller ID name?

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

Yes, they do. I am one of several people posting on their message board that has this problem. Some people said they called and it was fixed in 48 hours. For others it has been weeks/months and it's still wrong.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO

said by mezzy316:

Yes, they do.
I'm not too familiar with ooma's website. Could you share a link to the page where that's described? If it's behind a password, maybe a screenshot? Thanks!

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

It says they do here under "Does Ooma provide caller-ID service?"

»www.ooma.com/support/faqs#features

Ooma also provides outgoing caller-ID at no extra charge. By default, during activation, your caller-ID will be set to use your last and first names. If you wish to change or personalize an existing outgoing caller-ID name at a later time, you can choose to do so for a one-time charge of $11.99. Acceptable caller-ID names contain some combination of your first name, last name and/or your home business name. New requests and changes for outgoing caller-ID name are processed within 5 business days.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO

well, alrighty then, ooma has no out clause. my original thought, that your number got put on the wrong plan at the CLEC (one-way DID instead of 2-way DID) might actually be correct. Perhaps month end processing tonight (coincidentally) might get it corrected. Otherwise, if still NULL NULL on Monday, you should escalate to a supervisor at ooma support. In those situations, you might use a practice used internally at AT&T years ago called "24 hours and up." When you escalate, you ask the person you're talking to who their boss is, and what their phone number is. Share with them that it's your intention to call that person if you don't hear back within 24 hours. And then do it.

mezzy316

Oshkosh, WI

Month end processing didn't change anything, I'm still "Null, Null". Called CS again this morning. They said they'd put in a trouble ticket. Where have I heard that before. The CS rep said it was already provisioned but that he'd have it done again. I asked if I could speak to that department. He said that there is only one lady that does it all (Roz?) but that she doesn't talk to customers. He said that he would have someone call me back this afternoon after it is provisioned again. I'll give them until about 3:00 to call me back, then it's supervisor time.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO

you should not feel bad or feel guilty about pressing the issue. they are not providing a published standard feature, and not giving any explanation of why it's not progressing.