RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC to More Fiber

to More Fiber

Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

I have a slight off topic question.

Does anyone know how good the wireless range is of this release compared to revision D?

And most importantly, does anyone know how much speed down and up you can pull from the wireless on this new Rev?

I ask because my Rev D can only do around 21-26Mbit/sec each way MAX.

Thank you!

Hexium
@comcast.net

Hexium

Anon

I have read trough this entire thread and didn't see anything about public static IPs. I have a client who in California who is setup with a public static IP on the Actiontec (gen2 rev.e). We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office. Is this possible?

BTW, he does have the FiOS TV setup at his location as well, this is why I was think of using the double bridge option.

Thanks!
KewlRobD2
join:2007-01-30
Hawthorne, NY

KewlRobD2

Did you try setting that static IP address on the Sonicwall instead of putting it in DHCP mode?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Hexium

MVM

to Hexium
said by Hexium :

We want to connect a Sonicwall TZ-170 to it and give it the public static IP address so that we can setup a VPN tunnel to their main office.
As KewlRobD2 See Profile suggested, you should configure the TZ-170 with your public static IP address(es). The WAN bridge will simply forward all packets to the WAN port of your router.

The MOCA LAN bridge will still connect from the LAN side of your router to the ethernet WAN port of the Actiontec. You can configure the LAN bridge either to get a DHCP from your router (per instructions) or you can assign it one of your static IP addresses. This would be done within the TZ-170, so can't help with how to do that.

Hexium
@comcast.net

Hexium

Anon

I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to today. My concern is the TV/VOD functions. I'm pretty sure just setting the static IP information will work but do I need to have specific ports open for the VOD?
KewlRobD2
join:2007-01-30
Hawthorne, NY

KewlRobD2

Nope, following the instruction on post 1 is everything you need to get the bridge working with the Guide and VOD.

Hexium
@algx.net

Hexium

Anon

Thanks guys!

One more question. The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Hexium :

The Sonicwall's ports are only 100MB. Do you forsee any issues with this?
That's faster that your WAN connection. No problem.

The only issue would be if you are using the switch ports on the sonicwall to connect together Gig-E devices on your LAN. You would be limited to 100Mbps between the gig-E devices. If you do have gig-E devices on your network, put a Gig-E switch behind the sonicwall for interconnecting the gig-E devices at full speed.