Search similar:

uniqs
NYCPaul
join:2000-09-15
New York, NY

NYCPaul to YuRi

to YuRi

Re: WNDR3700 - Problems

Out of the box the router worked beautifully with two wi-fi radios, a new SONY Win 7 desktop, an old SONY XP desktop, an old SONY XP laptop and a Sherwood AV/R with a wi-fi connection for showing movies directly to the HDTV. I have a cable connection with average 9.8meg download.

After installing the Firmware Version V1.0.4.35NA both the XP computers became very, very sluggish while the Win 7 and other devices maintained their speeds. A speedtest on the XPs showed a 9-10 meg download but actual web page download was slower than a bad DSL connection.

The XP won't connect with \\readyshare either.
ethesx
join:2010-03-29
Trenton, NJ

ethesx to YuRi

to YuRi
Had this router for a week (purchased 2/15/10) before it began to lock up consistently, each week. If a static IP is assigned to the client, you can ping the router, but cannot pull DHCP address. Router configuration page isn't accessible, only work around is to power cycle the device. Firmware V1.0.4.55NA.

Contacted NetGear each time, and was confident they'd identify the issue, unfortunately that didn't happen and now I'm faced with having to return the router to them, pay shipping charges myself and wait for a replacement not knowing if the replacement will simply have the same problem. They refuse to do an advanced exchange without payment which compared to all other companies I've dealt with, is unheard of. Product was basically bad out of the box.

The router which this replaced started to reset itself randomly (even with nothing attached) after about a year and a half of no problems. I suppose I should be shameful for expecting a better product this time around.

Last time I ever purchase a NetGear product.
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

RouterRooter

Concur that static IPs just don't seem to work right. I also get similar issues. But this router has good throughput and is dual band. Can't you just make do or assign a fixed IP in your OS until Netgear fixes their firmware or DD-WRT is available for the 3700?

RR
ethesx
join:2010-03-29
Trenton, NJ

ethesx

Actually it's not the static IP (assigned via OS) that's causing the problem as the server that uses that could be off for the entire week and the router still becomes unresponsive (a reservation wasn't set until later). Assigning a static IP is the only way I can verify that the router is still working in some manner (via ping) since the DHCP addresses aren't given out and the router console isn't accessible.

They haven't said anything about the firmware being faulty or any upgrade so the DD-WRT would be the only resolution outside a hardware exchange. Making due isn't exactly an option when the device is failing a week after purchase, I'd pin that on principle alone.

Skirat
@spcsdns.net

Skirat to YuRi

Anon

to YuRi
(V1.0.4.43NA) and on the upgraded latest bios (V1.0.4.55NA)

SLOW gui.
UPNP didn't work properly
Guest Network drops all wireless connectivity when enabled

Decent throughput

Product returned yesterday afternoon and am shopping for a new "upgrade"'

EvilJay
@comcast.net

EvilJay

Anon

I have not had an issue with the router locking up untill I upgraded my Language GUI. I have the previous versions of Firmware and was told by netgear tech support that if I rolled the firmware back the language gui would follow. Then I could upgrade them seperately. No matter what I do I can't roll back the Language GUI. Any ideas? Current Language GUI is V1.0.0.35. Anywhere I can find an older one?

cherrybombaz
@optonline.net

cherrybombaz to YuRi

Anon

to YuRi
I've also experienced problems with the guest network using 1.0.4.55NA firmware. When I enable it, the wireless stops working.
deweyii
join:2009-12-20
Oklahoma City, OK

deweyii

said by cherrybombaz :

I've also experienced problems with the guest network using 1.0.4.55NA firmware. When I enable it, the wireless stops working.
This is a current known issue that they are collecting data on. Please open a ticket with netgear at my.netgear.com
ajs75
join:2004-08-24
Chicago, IL

ajs75 to YuRi

to YuRi
Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.4.55NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.35

About once some clients lose connectivity and/or new clients do not receive DHCP addresses and I need to power cycle. I've noticed that when this happens, I am also unable to login to the web interface of the router.

I'm wired only with connections to my ISPs cable gateway and two host ports - one to a large Ethernet switch and the other to a VoIP adapter.

-A
ajs75

ajs75

Sorry, I mean to say, "About once a week. . ."

--------------

About once some clients lose connectivity and/or new clients do not receive DHCP addresses and I need to power cycle. I've noticed that when this happens, I am also unable to login to the web interface of the router.

I'm wired only with connections to my ISPs cable gateway and two host ports - one to a large Ethernet switch and the other to a VoIP adapter.

-A

om
@verizon.net

om to deweyii

Anon

to deweyii
same issue here- enable guest- wireless radios turn off- Netgear on phone now say they know and have a beta firmware that fixes it
YuRi
Premium Member
join:2008-11-04

YuRi

Premium Member

My router will just randomly stop responding and can't surf the web or anything like that or even login to the router page, it calls for me to poweroff the router and power it back on, i have mediaserver disabled figured it was that but nope still does it randomly it could be few days to a month...

MrDoughBoy
join:2007-08-21
UK

MrDoughBoy to YuRi

to YuRi
I've flashed the firmware with dd-wrt and the preformance is great! .

Was getting a bit sick of netgears rubbish firmware but since flashing with dd-wrt I've had my router on for over 38 days now and it has rebooted once

tmmak
@intel.com

tmmak

Anon

What is this "dd-wrt" firmware? Where do we get it?

bluegrass
join:2007-04-03
Lexington, KY

bluegrass to YuRi

to YuRi
If you have never used a third-party firmware, such as DD-WRT or others, I highly recommend that you DO NOT use them yet.

Right now, the open source community is working very hard to produce a reliable, stable, feature-packed firmware for this router.
The current available builds leave much to be desired, as performance and stability are questionable. Not to mention, if you do not know how to properly install said firmware, you could have a lovely non functioning WNDR3700 on your hands.

Please read the posts in the forum over at »www.dd-wrt.com
The 3700 section is under the Atheros based header.

Also, this info is not for folks who have been using these wonderful firmwares for years, obviously. This post is to keep folks who have little or no knowledge of the risk involved with firmware testing from having a 160 dollar paper weight.
MrDoughBoy
UK

MrDoughBoy

To be fair the only known issue with the DD-WRT firmware at the moment is that it impacts the wireless signal.

My router hasnt crashed once or hanged where as with the netgear firmware it would do this only a weekly basis at the least.

Although DD-WRT is in the beta stages at the moment loading the firmware is as simple as logging into your netgear device and uploading any other netgear firmware.

You can always flash back with a command prompt for the netgear firmware.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to MrDoughBoy

to MrDoughBoy
said by MrDoughBoy:

I've flashed the firmware with dd-wrt and the preformance is great! .

Was getting a bit sick of netgears rubbish firmware but since flashing with dd-wrt I've had my router on for over 38 days now and it has rebooted once
I am running with current Netgear firmware and performance is great here, too.

Specifically, what do you consider to be rubbish in regard to Netgear's firmware for that unit? I am not seeing issues here.

bluegrass
join:2007-04-03
Lexington, KY

bluegrass

I won't speak for Mr. DoughBoy, but I have read his posts over at DD-WRT.com, and he like most others, have DEGRADED wireless performance from dd-wrt firmware right now due to the wireless drivers used in that firmware. There are several folks trying diligently to resolve this.
The ultimate downside of this, from what I can tell is, if you decide to go back to Netgear firmware, the old dd-wrt drivers stay, and so does your lowered wireless performance.
As far as specific features, dd-wrt offers the capability to turn your 160 dollar router into a 1000 dollar unit in as far as just about every enterprise-class option is available for you to use. Also, when those folks get it right, it's right, and your router will be a very fast, stable, function-capable unit.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

Thanks for the additional info, bluegrass. I wasn't aware switching back to Netgear firmware wasn't possible after flashing dd-wrt firmware and that alone would be reason enough for me not to try it at this point.

I don't tend to use 3rd party firmware unless I have a need for features they provide not adequately addressed in the manufacturer's own firmware.

I really have no need to look beyond Netgear's current firmware currently and wasn't considering that. It's just that, when somebody posts something is "rubbish" and doesn't provide any evidence to support it, I just don't consider the statement helpful.

In this case, since I am using the router with firmware Mr. DoughBoy has labeled rubbish, I really would like to know why. I may be missing something, but I am pleased with the performance of two different desktops connecting with Netgear WNDA3100v2 USB adapters, two different servers connecting via different ethernet onboard adapters and an HP ColorLaserJet ethernet printer connecting via an ethernet -> house wire -> ethernet -> router configuration (because the router must be downstairs on the north end of the house, the printer is ethernet only, printer is located upstairs and central, and I couldn't find a wireless ethernet dual band bridge I was sure would work).

I am having no drops, decent speeds, essentially no noticed issues. If there are problems with this firmware I would appreciate knowing what to look for.
MrDoughBoy
UK

MrDoughBoy to YuRi

to YuRi
I did have a specific wireless issue when I flashed to DD-WRT however this issue now seems to be resolved with the latest firmware and my wireless signal is now slightly better than the original firmware. (3 Bars before now 4 bars with dd-wrt).

The issue I had with the netgear firmware is that the router would lock up after a few days, I'm not the only one who has this issue and it has been reported numerous times on the netgear forums, yet still has not been fixed.

Indian netgear technical support is useless, they said it was an issue with the actual router which it obviously isnt if many people report the issue.

Indian tech support told me that my device needed replacing, it was replaced and still have the same issue.

The worst thing about the firmware is that for gamers who steam for example is usless as the firmware is limited to 4096 concurrent sessions.

When you refresh the server list with the netgear firmware, steam refreshes so many server that it actually casues the router to lock up..

With DD-WRT you can simply increase the max connections to unlimited which solves the issue I had.

This is bad programming in itself when the hardware is great yet it is let down by the software.

Since flashing to DD-WRT (Latest version) I've had no other issues, no lockups and my router has been online for over 2 weeks now without any issues what-so-ever.
TX CS Aggie
TX CS Aggie
join:2009-07-22
College Station, TX

TX CS Aggie

MrDoughBoy-

the DDWRT site is a bit vague as to method for flashing WNDR3700 over to 3rd party firmware could you post the steps you fallowed ... maybe even in a new thread?